Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exercise for arm 5 months after lumpectomy

2 REPLIES 2

Re: exercise for arm 5 months after lumpectomy

Hi Two steps forward

Thanks for posting.

It’s usual for people to have shoulder and arm stiffness after surgery and for most people this settles after some weeks.  It’s a good idea to carry on with exercises until any stiffness or tightness resolves and you have a full range of movement. The type of exercise and how often to do them is outlined in the above link.  

If cording develops you'll often be able to see or feel a cord like structure under the skin of your inner arm.  In some cases sensations of pain and tightness may indicate cording and can happen several weeks after surgery. 

Occasionally it can happen many months later.  If you are unsure about the cause of the tightness you experience, it would be a good idea to discuss this with your breast care nurse or ask for a referral to see a physiotherapist. Here at Breast Cancer Care we offer a range of free supportive services that you might be interested in. This includes face to face support at a number of locations throughout the country. For more details about all of these services, please see the information on the link.

Our mobile app BECCA  also provides day-to-day strategies, hints and tips to help you move forward. The easy-to-use cards give you bite-size information on everything from managing symptoms to strategies for coping with anxiety. Categories include exercise and mindfulness and you can read blogs from people like you who are adjusting to life beyond breast cancer treatment.

Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

Please be aware that we will be closed on Friday 29 March and Saturday 30 March due to an office move. This may cause a slight delay in our response times especially for emails received from Friday 29 March to Monday 1 April. Thank you for your patience during this period. 

We are currently reviewing our Forum service and wonder if you would have five to 10 minutes to complete a short survey. The survey will help us gather information about this service and understand more about any improvements we can make.

Best wishes

Eve

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Re: exercise for arm 5 months after lumpectomy

Hi Two steps forward

Thanks for posting your question.

We hope to be able to respond to you tomorrow.

In the meantime our Helpline is open until 4pm today if you would like to talk things through. 

If you do phone our Helpline please let us know that you have asked a question on our forum so that we know your query has been answered. Thank you

With best wishes.

Lisa

Ask Our Nurses Co-ordinator

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer

exercise for arm 5 months after lumpectomy

Hi

I've just been "signed off" by the oncologist with the option to go back if I decide to stop taking Anastrazole ( a longer post!). My question is what exercises should I be doing as there is still not full movement in my left arm (where I had a couple of lymph nodes taken out). I did some exercises as recommended after surgery but to be honest I didn't continue. It's nothing awful...just when I raise my arm it feels a bit tight. So my question is what exercise do I need to do and how often please? I don't think I need physio. I've heard people mention "cording" but not sure what that is?! Or when that develops. Many thanks.