Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

glucosamine and chondroitin

2 REPLIES 2
Nurse_BCN

Re: glucosamine and chondroitin

Hello Smudgie31

Thanks for your post about your joint pain and glucosamine and chondroitin.

Many people experience joint pain after breast cancer as a result of the side effects of treatment, especially hormone therapy. Whilst there is little clinical evidence of the effectiveness of glucosamine and chondroitin and joint pain, some people do find them helpful. The Sloane Kettering herbal website is a useful place to check any supplements that you are taking to see whether they interact with other conventional medicines as is your local pharmacist.

You can also use mild pain relief like paracetamol or an anti-inflammatory drug such as ibuprofen to help with your joint pain. Weight-bearing exercises such as walking can also help to strengthen up your muscles and to protect the joints in your legs.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

If you would like a nurse to call you do complete this form. Ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Rachel

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Hope213

Re: glucosamine and chondroitin

Hello,

I started on Tamoxifen and Zoladex last month and my breast cancer nurse said many women in my position find Glucosamine helps. She said its an amazing supplement. I didnt ask about strength but she's been really helpful and I imagine she would have told me if I wasn't to have max strength. Hopefully soneone else will be able to give you definite clarification though for peace of mind.

Sending positive vibes x

Smudgie31

glucosamine and chondroitin

Hi,

I've been on tamoxifen for nearly 5 years. Starting to really notice joint pain. Have been taking glucosamine and chondroitin for about a year. I've just switched to a max strength by Holland and Barrett. Just want to check that l'm not doing anything wrong.

Anyway else you would suggest?

Regards