66958members
353365posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ibandronic acid andvtooth extraction?

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Member

Re: ibandronic acid andvtooth extraction?

Hi MysteryMouse

Thanks for posting.

We cannot say if it would be ok to stop the ibandronic acid for a month in order to have your tooth extracted.  It would be best to talk to your treatment team about this as they are aware of your individual situation. Sometimes it is necessary for people to have invasive dental procedures but if it can safely be delayed your treatment team and dentist may prefer to wait until you finish your treatment.

Ibandronic acid can cause some of the jawbone to lose its blood supply and die. This is called osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ). It’s a rare  but serious side effect, which is why your dentist will try if possible, to avoid invasive dental procedure such as a tooth extraction.  It sounds as though your dentist feels your  wisdom tooth will need to be removed at some time but for now the troublesome ulcer may resolve when the tooth is filed down. 

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Please be aware that we will be closed on Monday 25 May due to the bank holiday.

Best wishes

Eve

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

 

Highlighted
Member

ibandronic acid andvtooth extraction?

Hello

So ive just been seen in hospital because of on going ulcer and trauma in mouth and they think it's caused by upper wisdom tooth. They advised taking tooth out but because I'm on Ibandronic Acid they advised it may not heal so not a good idea so will file down instead but will prob need tooth removed in future when off Ibandronic Acid. I'm taking Ibandronic Acid for another 2 years. Would it be possible to maybe stop taking it for a month or so and have the extraction and then go back on it or not? Thanks!