Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

running

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: running

Hi Chantal,

Thanks for posting.

Many people continue to exercise during their chemotherapy treatment.

Exercise has many benefits including helping to avoid or reduce some side effects of cancer treatment, such as fatigue.  Some people continue similar exercise regimes whilst others choose something different. You might find it helpful to read about how others used exercise throughout and beyond their breast cancer treatment in this article on our website.

We’d always suggest checking with your treatment team that they are happy you exercise first, however it’s common practice for healthcare professionals to encourage patients to undertake some form of exercise during cancer treatment for the above reason.

It's worth ensuring you don’t set out to try and achieve what you would usually when you begin. As ruthie2 says, listen to your body and take it steady, bearing in mind that as treatment continues or changes your ability to undertake exercise may also change.

You can always call our Helpline to talk this through more or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Please be aware that we will be closed on Monday 31 August due to the bank holiday. 

Best wishes

Catherine

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Thank you so much Ruthven,

Inspired me to pop my trainers. Just going to listen to my body xxx

Highlighted

Hello there, this time last year (age 55) i was half way through chemo, I managed to carry on running whilst on ec, not as far or as quick as pre-chemo but I felt better mentally for it, even if I did have to make myself go! When I changed to docetaxel, which floored me completely, I could only manage a walk though.
I was told to carry on as normal as much as I could do I did!

Listen to your body, if you feel as if you can run, then run!
But don’t beat yourself up if you aren’t as fast or can’t go as far, whatever you can manage is better than nothing at all.

love and hugs x

Highlighted

running

Hi there I am going in for second course of chemo tomorrow I feel really well to the point I could even go out for a little run i ran before treatment started is this wise.

Ta chantal xxxx