Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thyroid cancer

2 REPLIES 2

Re: thyroid cancer

Hi Saffronseed

Thank you for your post.

As your consultant confirmed some studies have suggested a possible link between breast and thyroid cancer.

As thyroid cancer is more common in women than men, and it may be there’s a link to female hormones.

However, the significance of the relationship between breast and thyroid cancer is still unclear, and will only become evident as the incidence of thyroid cancers continues to rise and the treatments for both cancers continue to improve.

There’s no conclusive evidence of the association between the two cancers, and numbers are low, which is the reason why clinicians don’t usually mention it.

Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

We are currently reviewing our Forum service and wonder if you would have five to 10 minutes to complete a short survey. The survey will help us gather information about this service and understand more about any improvements we can make.

Best wishes

Heidi

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Re: thyroid cancer

Hi saffonseed

Thanks for posting your question.

We hope to be able to respond to you tomorrow.

Our Helpline is open from 9am tomorrow (Friday) if you would like to talk things through. 

If you do phone our Helpline please let us know that you have asked a question on our forum so that we know your query has been answered. Thank you

With best wishes.

Lisa

Ask Our Nurses Co-ordinator

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer .

Highlighted

thyroid cancer

I was diagnosed with breast cancer 9 years ago I had mastectomy chemo rads and have been on Aridimex since.   I recently had a ultra scan on my neck area as I had some swollen lymph nodes.  At the scan they did pick up on the lymph nodes which they said were enlarged but nothing to worry about but to keep an eye on them in the future.  However the radiologist found a nodule on my thyroid gland and said it was suspicious and did a FNA.   The results are now back and it is looking very much like it could be thyroid cancer and I will have to have my thyroid gland removed.   I spoke to the ENT consultant yesterday and he said there is a known  link between breast cancer and thyroid cancer ie people who get thyroid cancer are prone to get breast cancer and vice versa.  I must admit I wasn't aware of this and I wondered if BCC has seen or is aware of any research to support this?    I have been vigilent is checking my breast and lymph nodes over the years but never even thought of my thyroid and if it is a known risk I was thinking that maybe we should be informed?   I know the medics don't like to scare us as such but its useful to know what to look out for.