Asking for advice

Hello, I had a mastectomy (right)in March with a mammoplasty (left) it was very successful and am on Letrozole now, I was so pleased at the final outcome and I consider myself very lucky. Recently (about a month) I’ve had right side pain… it hurt for a few days and now it’s a dull ache of some sort… eg at night I can’t sleep on that side because it’s uncomfortable and awkward, I can’t see or feel a lump at all and but I’m aware of it being there all day (very dull ache but something ) I have no idea how to approach the nurses and/or the doctors, I absolutely don’t want to bother them and if I have to I just don’t know what to say without feeling foolish and wasting their valuable time. I’ve had the. Wondered if you knew what I should say and also even whether to bother because I’m over reacting. Thank-you for your time reading this 

SBT you are not overreacting or wasting anyone’s time in your team if you make a call and just want to be checked over your team are there to help and support you and are used to supporting everyone at any stage along the way. Please do make the call to them it will give you peace of mind and you’ll have your team taking care of you :two_hearts: :two_hearts: :sparkles: :sparkles: Shi xx

Hi SBT 

Thanks for posting. 

You mention a recent pain on your right side that makes sleeping difficult. It’s understandable that you want to know if this is normal and whether to report the pain.  

Immediately after surgery for breast cancer and in the weeks that follow, it’s common to feel some pain and discomfort. Different sensations such as a burning feeling and numbness in the scar area and under the arm can also be experienced. 

As healing takes place, these effects usually subside and for most people this happens within a few months. However, for some, they can persist, and we know this can affect quality of life.  Ongoing (chronic) or persistent pain may be caused by damage to the nerves, particularly those in the axilla (underarm) and there are different ways of controlling this pain.   

As Shi mentions do contact your treatment team. Do give your breast care nurse a call as she is there to support you and you will not be wasting her time.  

If you are not already aware of our services, we have a range of free supportive services that you might be interested in. Talking to someone who has had a similar experience can be helpful and our Someone Like Me service can arrange for one of our volunteers to talk to you by email or telephone. 

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK - prefix 18001). 

If you would like a nurse to call you do complete this form . Ticking the box agreeing to a call back.    

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am - 1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.   

Best wishes  

Grete   

Breast Care Nurse   

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy    

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.