68104members
358415posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I take St. John’s wort with anastrazole?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Can I take St. John’s wort with anastrazole?

Hi Rachel

Thank you for your post.

Many people ask about vitamin and herb supplements as they want to do as much as possible to be healthy. There is often the belief that vitamins and herbs are safe as they are considered natural but herbal treatments don’t have to comply with the same regulations or rigorous testing that conventional medicines do. For many products there is a lack of research to support its use and some can interfere with conventional medicines including cancer treatments.

However, some studies have raised concerns about potential interactions of St John's wort with cancer treatments. 

You can search here for what is known about St John’s wort and here for other individual herbs and vitamins.

Each has sections on existing evidence and what known interaction there is with other medications. There is a consumer version or a health professional link for more details.

Although, the information does not list a known interaction with Anastrazole specifically, it’s unknown if St John’s wort may interfere with the mechanism of the drug.

If you have a breast care nurse do speak to her, your hospital doctor or GP before taking any supplements.

You can also search herbal products and supplements on the European website Complementary and Alternative Medicine for cancer and on the American website Medicine Plus

We often find we can help people more by speaking to them on the phone. Your call will be confidential and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm and 9am to 1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Thank you for contacting us. Please contact us again in the future if you have any further queries.

Kind regards

Heidi

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Re: Can I take St. John’s wort with anastrazole?

Hello

Thanks for posting your question.

We hope to be able to respond to you on Monday.

In the meantime our Helpline is open between 9am and 1pm tomorrow (Saturday) if you would like to talk things through. 

If you do phone our Helpline please let us know that you have asked a question on our forum so that we know your query has been answered. Thank you

With best wishes.

Lisa

Ask Our Nurses Co-ordinator

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer .

Highlighted

Can I take St. John’s wort with anastrazole?