69.3K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use a hot water bottle on top of the lumpy area to alleviate the pain?

1 REPLY 1
Nurse_BCN

Re: Can I use a hot water bottle on top of the lumpy area to alleviate the pain?

Hi Lory

Thanks for posting.

It's understandable you’d like to do as much as possible to help your situation..There is no evidence that applying heat in this manner will help control any activity in your T cells or help to fight the cancer. It’s best to avoid placing a hot water bottle on this area.

It’s not unusual to experience pain in your breast if you have recently had investigations for breast cancer. If you are experiencing pain taking regular pain relief such as paracetamol may help and contact your GP if the pain gets any worse.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000  (Next Generation Text service, prefix 18001).

Please be aware our Helpline will be closed on Monday 30 August due to the bank holiday.

If you would like a nurse to call you do complete this form. Ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

You may also be interested in the range of other free services we offer

Best wishes

Wendy

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Lory

Can I use a hot water bottle on top of the lumpy area to alleviate the pain?

Good morning,

I was diagnosed three days ago with a grade 3 ER PR negative HER2 awaited node positive breast cancer. I was reading that T cells have a better chance to fight the cancer when on a warm ambient and I was wondering if keeping a warm hot water bottle close to the impacted breast area could help my body fighting the growth of the cancer mass. Do you believe that could harm and make the situation worse? Many thanks.