Can you have a lumpectomy with multifocal breast cancer tumours?

Hi all,

I’ve recently  been diagnosed  with breast cancer and had a second ultrasound  and more biopsies  yesterday including  lymph nodes. The Dr mentioned  multi focal cancer as another two lumps were found although  not confirmed  as cancer yet. On my first ultrasound  I was told a lumpectomy  and 3 weeks of radiotherapy  which I could live with. Now I’ve had an MRI and it looks worse and I cannot bear the idea of a mastectomy  and chemo and don’t want to lose  my hair. Is it possible  they can do lumpectomy  on more than one sight in the same breast quadrant? I’m terrified and have now signed off work for  a month as I’m so anxious.  Thank you. Natx

Hello Marina54 

Thank you for posting your question. 

Being diagnosed with breast cancer can be a difficult time, especially while you are waiting to know what treatments you may need. It is understandable that you are feeling worried.  

Your treatment team will discuss the options for surgery they feel are best for you. It can sometimes be possible to remove more than one tumour with breast conserving surgery. This will depend on factors such as the size and position of the tumours as well as the size and shape of your breast. Sometimes a mastectomy is recommended and if this is the case for you, your team may discuss the option for breast reconstruction. It is important to let them know how you are feeling so they can support you and help you make a decision. 

Many people also worry about needing chemotherapy and how they will cope. Not everybody needs to have chemotherapy for their breast cancer and if this treatment is recommended for you, you will be given information and support from your breast care nurse and treatment team. You’ll have the opportunity to talk through your concerns, such as hair loss.  

Feeling anxious is understandable at this time and our information about managing this may be helpful. If you feel comfortable to talk to your breast care nurse about how you are feeling they can  you towards local support services.  

You can also call our Helpline if it would help to talk through your worries. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK - prefix 18001).  

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am - 1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

We also offer a range of free supportive services for anyone who has had a diagnosis of breast cancer which you may be interested in.  They include face to face and online courses and events. For more details about all of these services, please see the information on the link.   

If you would like a nurse to call you do complete this form . Ticking the box agreeing to a call back.   

Best wishes  

Cassie   

Breast Care Nurse   

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy    

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.