Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant Fear of Recurrence

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Constant Fear of Recurrence

Hello Hannahlizzy21

Thank you for posting. This sounds like such a difficult time for you.

Nearly everyone who has been treated for cancer worries about it coming back and you’re not alone in being anxious about this. The uncertainty and fear of breast cancer returning is very real. At first, every ache or pain may frighten you; most people find the anxiety lessens as the time goes on.

I wonder if you have had a breast reconstruction. After any type of breast surgery the area can feel different with lumpiness and other changes as the skin and tissue heals. Your consultant will be very experienced so try to be reassured by her comments. Do chat with the consultant again or your breast care nurse about your concerns. They may be able to offer additional information that would help. 

Many people are surprised at how emotional they feel when their treatment finishes. Adapting to life after treatment can be difficult and often the need for information and support continues.

As a younger woman with breast cancer you may also have other worries or concerns. You may be interested in our resources that are particularly for younger women. This includes our information and two day support event.

The Younger Breast Cancer Network (YBCN) is a private Facebook group run by young women for young women (under 45) who’ve had breast cancer. You can join if you have a Facebook profile by going to the public Facebook page and searching ‘Younger Breast Cancer Network’.

If you message them via the private message button, one of the admin will have a chat to say hello and check eligibility. They will send a friend request via their admin account (Edna Manchester).

Once the friend request is accepted the member can be added to the groups and introduced. There

is always a warm welcome from other members.

We also have specific services for those who have come to the end of their main hospital treatment. These are known as our Moving forward services and include our resources pack, Moving Forward course and Becca app.

Dr Peter Harvey a Consultant Clinical Psychologist wrote about how people can feel after treatment has finished. Although the article is many years old and not specific to breast cancer the emotional issues discussed remain relevant.  You can read this through the following link

After the treatment has finished - Then what?

I wonder if you’d like to talk things through with one of us here. If so do call our free, confidential Helpline. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

Best wishes

Jane

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Constant Fear of Recurrence

I finished active treatment for bc this week. After being diagnosed in February 2019, I have completed chemotherapy, double mx, and 15 rounds of radiotherapy.

I am just 26, and my family are elated that I have just rang the bell for the final time. I had no node involvement, my tumour was 8cm and I had a complete response to the chemo. However, I can’t seem to shake the fear of a recurrence. My breasts feel lumpy I presume from the operation, and I had a physical examination done this week. The consultant said she couldn’t feel anything abnormal? Would they know if something didn’t feel quite right? 
I’m at a loose end- and I don’t know what to do/ think to help.