Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIEP recon

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: DIEP recon

Dear Lilac

Thank you for your post.

It’s understandable you want to try to lose some weight to help with the osteoporosis and arthritis you have developed. It’s difficult to say for certain whether a DIEP reconstructed breast will get smaller with weight loss as it’s likely to vary between people and can depend on the amount of weight lost. It’s possible you may experience some tissue loss from the reconstructed breast but it’s not possible to say whether this will match any tissue loss from the natural breast. Your breast surgeon is the best person to give you more information about this.

You may find it helpful to speak to someone else who has had a DIEP reconstruction. You can do this through our Someone Like Me service.

When trying to lose weight, it’s important to lose it gradually and combine any dietary changes with some physical activity. Always talk to your health care team about any new physical activities you might be thinking of starting. It may help to talk to a dietician about the best way to make changes to your diet to help with weight loss. You can ask your GP or breast care nurse to refer you.

You may also it helpful to read our information on how to lose weight after treatment for breast cancer and how to include enough calcium and vitamin D in your diet, to help with osteoporosis.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Teresa

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

DIEP recon

I’m having a mastectomy with DIEP recon in 2 weeks time. 9 years ago I had a tumour in the other breast and had a lumpectomy with chemo, rads, herceptin, tamoxifen and now on letrozole. My weight was always around 10 stone 10lb before the first diagnosis. I dropped to 9 stone at my lowest after radio, then my weight rose very quickly and I’ve been between 12 and 12 and a half stone ever since. 
I really want to get the weight off as I now have osteoporosis and arthritis in my toe joints. Will a DIEP recon get smaller like the natural breast with weight loss?