Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diet during chemo

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Diet during chemo

Hi Sarah

Thanks for posting. We hear from many people  asking about what diet is best for them during chemotherapy and what foods should be avoided.

It’s not possible for us to make recommendations for your individual situation and your treatment team is best placed to discuss this with you. A possible reason your breast care nurse may have recommended that you avoid fresh salad, is that it’s more difficult to get rid of any contaminants. Chemotherapy can suppress your immunity and you may be more at risk of getting an infection, such as a stomach bug.

Chemotherapy affects people in different ways.  There is no reason to avoid going to a restaurant for a meal that you are familiar with. However, you may be at increased risk of infection at certain times following your treatment, so you may want to be more cautious in crowded public places.

Our website has some information on foods which may help if having certain side effects.

Breast Cancer Now offer some support services which you find useful.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Addie

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Re: Diet during chemo

Sorry, post removed. I hadn’t noticed it was As Our Nurses x

Highlighted

Diet during chemo

Hi,

I had my first round of chemo on Wednesday (EC) and wanted a bit more advice about diet. What is the advice re fresh vegetables and salads? My key worker nurse mentioned to me no fresh salads and only well cooked veg, but that seems a little extreme if I can have fresh fruit? Would well washed salad and peeled raw carrot be ok? Also what is your advice on eating out? Should that be avoided, or would it be ok if it was a nice place that I was sure was clean and food was well cooked.

Thanks,

Sarah