Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discomfort after mastectomy

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Discomfort after mastectomy

Hi SUSE

Thanks for posting.

As you recover from surgery, pain and discomfort will usually get better and for most people this happens within a few months.  However, for some it can be longer, and this can be frustrating, which sounds like may be the case for you.

You mention that you have had physio for cording in your arm.  Although it may not feel like it is in the same area, some people develop cording more than once.  Ongoing (chronic) or persistent pain can also be caused by damage to the nerves, particularly those in the axilla (underarm). There are different ways of controlling this pain. 

If you haven’t already done so, it may be helpful to contact your breast care nurse, treatment team or GP to discuss your symptoms.

Many people are wondering if a diagnosis of breast cancer means they are more at risk of getting the coronavirus (COVID-19).

As far as we know the majority of people who have had breast cancer will not be at any higher risk than the rest of the population.  

Those who may be at higher risk include anyone with low immunity, such as people having chemotherapy or people who have had chemotherapy in the last three months.  

Our webpage, has more Advice on Coronavirus for people with cancer

The following advice from the NHS  will help protect you and others.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Louise

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Discomfort after mastectomy

I had a single mastectomy and all lymph nodes removed last October. Luckily No chemo, just 15 sessions of radiotherapy.  I remained positive (as was my surgeon) and quickly regained movement.  However, I then got 'cording' in my arm which a physio helped with but now the problem is in my shoulder but more so under my arm has gone back to feeling like after the op.  Like there is a golf ball under my arm.  There isn't any swelling and I can stretch up but it is painful. This is the first time I have experienced pain during the whole process, previously just discomfort.  Is this a common problem?  Hormone therapy causing pains in my joints, particularly my ankles, knees and toes! I have been told I'm impatient in my recovery!!!! Now I'm being told I'm vulnerable (in coronavirus terms). I know aches and pains are a small price to pay for seeing cancer off, I really just want reassurance that this is 'normal' please.