Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange of tissue expander

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Exchange of tissue expander

Hi helenmann

Thanks for posting

It’s understandable you can’t remember all the information you were given following your surgery. How wounds are managed can vary depending on the dressings that are used and the preferences of the surgeon. So it would be best to ring your breast care nurse or the ward where you had your surgery for advice.

Our information about wound dressings may be of interest.

Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

Please be aware that we will be closed on Monday 26 August due to the bank holiday.

Best wishes

Val

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Exchange of tissue expander

Hi - I had surgery on Monday to have the tissue expander exchanged with a silicone one.

I was discharged on the same day and I know I was given loads of instructions on stuff but to be honest I think I was still under the influence of the anaesthetic and didn't take it all in.

I've had an incision under my breast to remove the temporary implant and I'm assuming it's now glued with a load of steri strips over the wound.

I know I have to keep the wound dry for a while - can you say when it would be OK to get it wet?

Also not sure when I can take the steri strips off - do they have to stay on a week, 2 weeks or what???

I think I should have written it all down but was still 'bad' from the anaesthetic  and feel like i'm only properly coming round today and starting to think about things.

Thanks for your help.