Further treatment

Hi I had a lumpectomy for a 2cm IDC grade 3 ER positive on 1st April. I still haven’t seen the oncologist, that is happening tomorrow. They say treatment doesn’t start until 6-8 weeks after surgery but i read in the Nice guidelines it should start after 31 days. It’s making me really anxious that this will affect my outcome.

Hi Jenny69,  your onco should tell you tomorrow what your treatment plan is and how long after your surgery it will start.  You need to be nicely healed before they will start.  Think i waited around 6-8 weeks before i started my radiotherapy.

hope appt goes well tomorrow.  If you wanna chat again im here.  Jan x

Hi Jenny69, 

Thanks for posting. We are often asked about guidelines and when treatment for breast cancer should start and it is understandable that you are anxious about this. The 31 day target you refer to relates to the timeframe from when you met with your doctor to agree your surgery date. 

As @clio18  says radiotherapy is usually given between 6-8 weeks after surgery, although this time may vary. This allows time for your wound to heal and for your treatment team to plan your radiotherapy treatment. As you are concerned about when your radiotherapy should start, we would always suggest you talk this through when you meet with your oncologist or breast care nurse tomorrow.  

Talking to someone who has had a similar experience can also be helpful and our Someone Like Me service can match you with a trained volunteer who’s had a similar experience to you.  

We also offer a range of other free supportive services for anyone who has had a diagnosis of breast cancer which you may be interested in.  They include face to face and online courses and events.  

For more details about all of these services, please see the information on the link, or call our free Helpline. 

We are currently evaluating this service and would appreciate your feedback. Please click here to the survey. It should take approximately 10 minutes to complete.  

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. We often find we can help people more by speaking to them on the phone. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.  

The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001). 

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.  

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

Thank you for contacting us. Please contact us again in the future if you have any further queries. 

Kind regards  

Breast Care Nurse 

Victoria 

Breast Cancer Now 

We’re Breast Cancer Now, and the charity that’s steered by world-class research and powered by life-changing care. We’re here for anyone affected by breast cancer, the whole way through, providing support for today and hope for the future.**  ** 

Breast Cancer Now is a company limited by guarantee registered in England (9347608) and a charity registered in England and Wales (1160558), Scotland (SC045584) and the Isle of Man (1200). Registered Office: Fifth Floor, Ibex House, 42–47 Minories, London EC3N 1DY. 

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer 

Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy