Getting anxious as not been given a date yet for mastectomy and reconstruction

Hi, I was diagnosed end of July with lobular and ductule breast cancer, estrogen positive and HER2 negative, provisional grade 1. 

I’m feeling anxious as time goes on and I still haven’t a date for surgery. I’ve been reassured that it’s slow growing but I’ve yet to meet a plastic surgeon and be given a date for surgery. Is this a normal timescale, being diagnosed in July and we now mid sept

I feel time is of the essence here and worry about the cancer spreading. Please advise.

Hello Sab53

Thanks for your post.

It’s understandable to feel anxious about not having a date for your breast surgery and want to know if the length of time you’ve waited since your diagnosis is the normal.

It’s not clear from your post where you are in the UK. There are waiting time targets to start treatment after a diagnosis of cancer. In England, Scotland and Northern Ireland the current targets aim to start treatment no more than a two month (62 days) wait between the date your hospital receives an urgent referral for suspected cancer and starting treatment. In Wales, everyone should have a confirmed diagnosis and start treatment within 62 days.

Some people may start treatment outside of these timeframes, this may be for due to a number of reasons, such as, possibly needing further tests, the impact of the pandemic on services, or an individual’s circumstances.

As you have not yet met with a plastic surgeon and have not been given a date for your surgery, we would always suggest contacting your treatment team or breast care nurse if you have one, to discuss your concerns.

It may also be helpful to contact your hospitals Patient Advise and Liaison Service (PALS) about your concerns. They can liaise with your treatment team on your behalf.

You may find our information about having a diagnosis of breast cancer of help. You may also find our range of services we offer of interest.

In the meantime, do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would like a nurse to call you do complete this form . Ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Teresa

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.