Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing my marbles!

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Losing my marbles!

Hi Cabransa

Thanks for your post.

You’re not on your own in describing the feeling of being tired and frustrated at not being able to follow your usual daily life after your surgery. 

These types of effects often occur because life before surgery has been taken over by initial emotions, appointments, waiting for results and planning following the diagnosis, leaving you little time to properly relax and catch your breath.  On top of this you have had a general anaesthetic which often leaves people feeling exhausted.

Once surgery has been performed, and you are at home recovering, there’s time to think more about what has happened. Often, this is the time when people become aware of the effects that their experience has had on both their physical and psychological health.

In addition, thoughts about the future and further treatment may also have an impact on how you feel and behave. So, forgetting words, what you’ve been told and things you meant to do, can usually be put down to the effect of your experience so far.

You might find it helpful to think about some ways you can make time for yourself.  Many people access complimentary therapies to do this. For example relaxation, mindfulness or reflexology.

Talking to others who’ve been in a similar situation and experienced the same thing can also be help.  Our Someone Like Me service can arrange for one of our volunteers to talk to you by email or telephone. Our volunteers have had a personal experience of breast cancer and are trained to provide support.

You can ring the Someone Like Me team on 0345 077 1893, or email them someone.likeme@breastcancernow.org so they can then match you to your volunteer. 

You might also find it useful to call our Helpline and talk this through with one of the Helpline team. Your call will be confidential and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Catherine

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Losing my marbles!

Hi

i was diagnosed with DCIS in the lobes on 8 Jan and had a lumpectomy on 23rd. I get my results and final treatment plan on 12 Feb. 

My issue is tiredness and frustration at not being able to do what i want, but i also feel as if i’m losing it....i forget things I’m told, forget to do things and can’t think of the right words at times.

this is beginning to worry me......that’s before further treatment !