Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low WBC

1 REPLY 1
Nurse_BCN

Re: Low WBC

Hi Imp

Thanks for posting.

It’s understandable to worry about blood test results and what they mean for you.

Although you mention that your results are lower than your blood test results in June, it’s not clear from your post if your white blood cell (WBC) and neutrophil counts are lower than the normal range.

It’s not possible for us to say why your WBC and neutrophil count continue to be low, as although chemotherapy can affect the blood cells in the body this is usually temporary. For some people it may take longer for their blood counts to increase.   

Having a low WBC and neutrophil count isn’t usually a sign that the cancer is elsewhere in your body. However, it’s important to talk to your treatment team about your results, as they will be best placed to discuss what they mean for you.

You mention that you are terrified that the cancer may be elsewhere in your body.  Nearly everyone who has been treated for cancer worries about it coming back (recurrence) and you’re not alone in being anxious about this. The uncertainty and fear of breast cancer returning is very real. At first, every ache or pain may frighten you, but most people find the anxiety lessens as the time goes on.

Many people are surprised at how emotional they feel when their treatment finishes. Adapting to life after treatment can be difficult and often the need for information and support continues.

You may be interested in our resources that are particularly for those who have come to the end of their main hospital treatment. These are known as our Moving forward services and include our Moving Forward book and Moving Forward course.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would like a nurse to call you do complete this form. Ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Louise

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Impatience

Low WBC

Hi

I completed my treatment for IBC/positive nodes in November. I had 3 x EC, 3 x Docetaxol, 15 sessions of radiotherapy. During that time I had low WBCs and neutrophils which put me into hospital x 3 although no infection was ever found. 

I had a routine blood test this week and my WBCs and neutrophils are now even lower than the start of my treatment in June. I feel well, exercise and have a really healthy diet. I’m taking Adcal x 2, Letrozol, lansaprosole and I take a vitamin c with zinc supplement. 

Should I be worried? Is this normal? I’m terrified that this may mean I still have cancer somewhere in my body. My CT scan was clear in May following surgery for mastectomy and full ANC. 

Also have you any advice for raising the levels?

Thank you. 

Imp.