My mind keeps going back and forth

• Hi. I have received a diagnosis of stage zero breast cancer in the left. Two lumps and LCIS in the right. Two lumps. When I first heard my diagnosis I was sure I wanted to get rid of it all. Certainly do not want a lumpectomy and have to go through the process of constant biopsies which were awfully painful this time because my cancer is very far back in my chest. And I certainly did not want to go through radiation. Figured I would just take it off and was hoping I could have my own tissue put there and boom boom boom problem gone. Just got back from the plastic surgeon though and he is now recommending that I do an implant instead because I am a type one diabetic and have been one for 50 years and in addition have other autoimmune diseases. Also, in my early 20s I stupidly did liposuction in my abdomen and may have ruined the tissue for breast implants. Now I am really stressing out because I am afraid of these implants because I have heard they cause autoimmune disorders which I already have and do not want any more of. I scheduled a second opinion but that is not for 2 weeks and my surgery will be in about a month. And I really don’t know which option to choose now. All of them seem awful. I can get a lumpectomy and go for radiation treatment for a long time which is a no in my book. I can have my breasts completely taken off and have to wear rubber bras for the rest of my life which is another no in my book. I can have my own tissue  implanted and risk my life or it being a bad surgery because of my diabetes. That’s a no too. Or I can choose a silicone or saline implant and risk getting another autoimmune disease. I don’t know anything about hormone therapy or whether that would do anything for me and I am trying to find that out in my second opinion appointment but that is two weeks of hell I’m going to be going through. Is there anyone out there who is also a diabetic or who knows about these things who had to make these choices? What did you do and are you happy with them.? My mind keeps going back and forth between these options that I don’t really like. I was so brave when I was first diagnosed when I thought that my own tissue implants would be what I could do. I consider myself a strong person and a survivor of diabetes for over 50 years which believe me is no easy task. But this decision is making me feel weak which I don’t like. I still work full-time and don’t want to stop doing that for long either. Although I know my health is more important. Just please can anyone tell me what you have done and whether you’re happy with it. Thank you

Btw the other autoimmune disorders I have are frozen shoulder which was released by surgery this summer and a recent diagnosis of scleroderma… Just in case those things come into play… Which I don’t know if they do

Hi

it is a lot going on for you and i know the feeling of being told no, you can not have Diep- in my case due to not enough stomach fat. so in your case you still got 3 options: going flat, having saline impant(these are very natural and unlikely to cause any reactions ) and having lumpectomy.

i also have some underlying health conditions and was unsure, but i opted for lumpectomy(no biopsies needed apart for initial testing you had already) and radio . Radio was not that bad really and lumpectomy was very easy procedure, almost as difficult as having appendix removed in my case.

now in your case if you go for the implant, do check for possible issues with your shoulder and how will impact it.

re breast reconstruction, i found this article very helpful- it made me decide it is not for me, but i know some ladies , who are very happy with the procedure:

pennmedicine.org/cancer/about/focus-on-cancer/2022/august/breast-reconstruction-myths-debunked

take good care

xx

Hello J.b 

Thank you for posting your question, it sounds as though you are having a really difficult time at the moment. 

Breast reconstruction using your own tissue is a longer and more complex surgery that reconstruction using an implant. Because of this, sometimes other health conditions, such as diabetes can increase the risk of complications after the surgery, such as healing and infection. It can also increase the risk of the flap failing, although this is still a rare complication.  

The liposuction that you have had may mean, as you say, the tissue from your abdomen cannot be used. It is possible to have reconstruction using tissue from other areas, like the thighs or bottom, but this would have the same risk in relation to the diabetes as using your tummy.  

Breast reconstruction with an implant is less complex and the risk of complications is lower. This option is often preferred for people who may have a higher risk from the own tissue surgery. It sounds like this is the case in your situation. Breast implant illness is something we don’t know a lot about and it seems to be very rare, but some people have reported feeling unwell after having breast implants. Generally, these symptoms resolve if the implant is removed. There is currently not enough evidence to say what the risk of developing breast implant illness is, but research is ongoing mostly in America and Australia.  

Your treatment team will always put your safety first, and it sounds as though you have thought through your options in detail. Although you feel radiotherapy is not a good option for you, as svedija suggests, it is usually tolerated well. Your team would be best placed to answer if the scleroderma diagnosis would have an impact on your recovery from surgery. I wonder if you have a further appointment with your breast surgeon to discuss your concerns. It may be helpful to make a list of your questions to ask them. You can also talk to your breast care nurse about the worries you have. It can feel overwhelming when you need to make decisions whilst also coping with the diagnosis of breast cancer and talking it through can sometimes help make sense of your thoughts.  

It is ok to take the time you need to make the decision that feels right for you. Having a second opinion sounds like an important step for you and may help you to make a decision about your surgery.  

Talking to someone who has had a similar experience can be helpful and our Someone Like Me service can match you with a trained volunteer who’s had a similar experience to you. They’ll be a phone call or email away to answer your questions, offer support or simply listen.  

You can ring the Someone Like Me team on 0114 263 6490 or email them at someone.likeme@breastcancernow.org, so they can then match you to your volunteer.  

We offer a range of free supportive services for anyone who has had a diagnosis of breast cancer which you may be interested in.  They include face to face and online courses and events. For more details about all of these services, please see the information on the link. 

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001). 

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form t** icking the box agreeing to a call back.**  

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.  

Please see the helpline link above  and for opening hours over Christmas and the New Year. 

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.   

Best wishes 

Cassie  

Breast Care Nurse   

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy    

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.