Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number of chemotherapy cycles

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Number of chemotherapy cycles

Hi Jowels

Thanks for posting.

Although we can’t advise on an individuals’ situation, we know that chemotherapy can put people at greater risk of developing coronavirus and of becoming seriously ill from it. As Mini mad says a number of women with breast cancer currently needing chemotherapy are having changes to their treatment plan. It’s not possible for us to say what the risk for you is having four rather than six cycles of chemotherapy.

The unexpected situation we find ourselves in means that treatment teams are having to consider planning treatment differently for some people. It sounds like you have a difficult decision to make especially as you have been very ill following the previous chemotherapy. Decisions about treatment are made on a case by case basis by the multi-disciplinary team (MDT) after considering the benefits and risks of treatment and other factors such as someone’s general health and previous reactions to treatment.  Your oncologist can explain what decision may be in your best interest.

Our webpage has more Advice on Coronavirus for people with cancer as well as some frequently asked questions from others who have had a diagnosis of breast cancer. 

We often find we can help people more by speaking to them on the phone. Your call will be confidential and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Please be aware that we will be closed on Monday 25 May due to the bank holiday.

Best wishes

Grete

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Hi jowels

Thanks for posting your question.

We hope to be able to respond to you tomorrow.

In the meantime our Helpline is open from 9am tomorrow if you would like to talk things through. 

If you do phone our Helpline please let us know that you have asked a question on our forum so that we know your query has been answered. Thank you

With best wishes.

Lisa

Ask Our Nurses Co-ordinator

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

Highlighted

Mini mad thanks very much for this.
i am hoping that I get a final decision soon as it’s awful being in limbo.Covid has affected all aspects of my treatment so I haven’t spoken to oncology for ages now.

thanks again And hope you are getting on ok 💕🌸

Highlighted

Hi Jowels

ive read quite a few posts on here about ladieswho have had their number of chemos cut short for one reason or another.

i was due 12 sessions but i felt so wretched wheni went for my 8th chemo that the team decided to give my body a break and it was heaven 💖  i assumed it would be added on at the end but it wasnt and the nurses/doctor said not to worry about...  so i didnt 👍

dont know if this helps you but the way i looked at it was if my chemo dr isnt too concerned about having 11 out of 12 and missing one,  then i wont worry.

good luck, n stay safe...do what ur body tells you.  Mini mad xx 💖💖

Highlighted

Number of chemotherapy cycles

Hi 

I am currently having adjuvant chemo for breast ca-originally FEC but now EC due to covid 19.I have had 4 cycles so far and may be offered the last two, due to covid interventions being slightly less at my trust now.My question is,what  is the risk by only having 4 and not 6.I have suffered with every side effect going and have been admitted to hospital 3 times.My body feels like it’s had enough of the treatment now and mentally Of course.I have been looking at research but would love your opinion on whether 4 or 6 is the best idea.I totally understand that I do not want a recurring tumour but also have felt so unwell I would love to feel ok, prior to my radiotherapy and endocrine treatment.Of course I’ll be discussing at length with my oncologist but appreciate your help.

thanks for your advice 

Jowels