Pathology results delayed

I had my lumpectomy and sentinel node removed 9th December.  My results appointment should have been today…(4weeks post op).  It has been delayed another week as the results are not back.  Is this normal?  Am I worrying for no reason?

Hello @Katus1964  

I’m sorry to hear that your results appointment has been delayed, however I would not be unduly concerned about your appointment being delayed especially given the recent holidays and how busy things are within hospitals. 
There are an awful lots of cogs that have to turn between your surgery and your results appointment in terms of the lab carrying out the necessary tests and getting them back to the surgeon so a slight delay is not unusual 

Keeping my fingers crossed that you don’t have to wait too much longer (I chased up mine to be told by a BCN that they weren’t showing as back only to to be called an hour later by the surgeon’s secretary to say they were and was I free to see him the next day!) and when you do get them it’s all good news

AM xxx

Hi Katus 1964

Thanks for your post.

Waiting for your results after surgery for breast cancer can be a worrying time and it’s always difficult when an appointment for your results is delayed.

As @adoptedmanc  has said, the Christmas holiday period often causes delays, and many services are stretched.

If you haven’t already, and would like to read further about some of the features of your breast cancer which may be discussed at your results appointment, you can find more information here.  This often helps people prepare any questions they may like to ask. You could also give your breast care nurse a ring to find out when your results are likely to be available.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. We often find we can help people more by speaking to them on the phone. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Thank you for contacting us. Please contact us again in the future if you have any further queries.

Kind regards

Heidi

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimerFull details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread