Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pathology timescales

2 REPLIES 2
Nurse_BCN

Re: Pathology timescales

Hi K8

Thanks for posting. It sounds a frustrating time for you.

Waiting times for pathology results can vary depending on what information is required. Waiting times for further treatments such as additional surgery and chemotherapy may also vary in various parts of the country. We are aware that some women are currently having longer waiting times than current waiting times guidance.

As your breast care nurse has suggested you may want to contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS).  You can find your nearest PALS office on the NHS website. They can act independently and on your behalf.

You may also want to consider taking your concerns to Healthwatch or the Parmlimentary and Health Ombudsmun We offer a range of free supportive services that you might be interested in.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would like a nurse to call you do complete this form. Ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

The helpline will be closed on Monday 19 September 2022 the day of the State Funeral of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

Best wishes

Angela

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Bookie

Re: Pathology timescales

Hi K8 

Just to say that I have had very similar timescales to you and I too find it  distressing. It seems that one of the main issues nationwide is pathology backlogs and staff shortages. I waited 3 weeks for initial biopsy results  5 weeks for first surgery 3 weeks again for results and then a date for another op 5 weeks later. It would be interesting to see what other people are experiencing.

Take care and I hope all goes well. 

K8

Pathology timescales

Hi - I am waiting for results from my second excision.  1st showed they hadn’t taken enough margin.  My question is about timescales, I had to wait 4 weeks for results from lumpectomy and AC then another 3 weeks to get into next surgery, now another 4 weeks for these results.  So basically it’s now over 3 months since I was told I had BC, I still have no treatment plan and am likely to have to wait another 5-6 weeks to actually see/speak to an oncologist.  Oncotype is probable so factor in another delay waiting for that.  I’m struggling being in limbo and am wondering if it’s the same all over the country? 4 weeks for pathology? I have been encouraged by the BC nurses to contact PALS to explain the impact of these delays (you’d hope they were aware!) but got me thinking about the lottery of treatment based on your postcode…….