Radiotherapy after surgery?

Hi there 

Hoping you can give me some advice with different information I’m getting and reading.

In May this year I was diagnosed with a left side 40mm grade 3 invasive duct carcinoma ER/PR 7 positive, HER2 negative close to skin and chest wall with node involvement under left arm I also had a Ki-67 of 23%

My treatment plan was 4 cycles of EC followed by 4 cycles of Docetaxel. Then a mastectomy, as the tumour is close to the nipple, full node clearance, then radiotherapy.  After the EC, I had an MRI and it showed a partial response of the tumour going from 40mm to 30mm. I am due my last cycle next week and having had 3 cycles of Docetaxel the tumour feels like it hasn’t shrunk any more and on seeing the Consultant yesterday she could still feel the tumour and said feels about 30mm, so don’t think I’ve had a good response to this chemo. 

Anyway, I was asking her about wanting radiotherapy after surgery as it was mentioned at my first consultation as I have a large tumour, near the chest wall with node involvement and she said it may not be needed as I’m having a mastectomy, the tumour is not considered large (50mm she said is large) and on removing the lymph nodes after surgery if they are clear of cancer cells radiotherapy may not be needed. But my understanding was that whether or not the lymph nodes are clear after surgery due to them having cancer cells before, radiotherapy would still be the next stage. And i was also thinking radiotherapy is used to kill any other remaining cells after surgery because they may/may not get all cancer cells with the mastectomy. So what is standard practice, at the very least?

Many thanks 

Hi Diamond3 

Thanks for posting. 

Radiotherapy uses high-energy x-rays to destroy cancer cells. It’s given to destroy any cancer cells that may have been left in the breast or chest area after surgery  as you have mentioned.  

Whether radiotherapy is given after mastectomy will depend on your individual situation.  This may include if the cancer was large or near the chest wall and the outcome of the assessment of your lymph nodes.   

However, the final decision on whether radiotherapy is recommended is based on the results of your surgery.  This may be why your consultant is currently unsure if radiotherapy will definitely be required as part of your treatment. 

We offer a range of free supportive services which you may be interested in. You can call  our Helpline to find out more about these, talk any of this through or ask any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK - prefix 18001). 

If you would like a nurse to call you do complete this form . Ticking the box agreeing to a call back.   

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am - 1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open. 

Best wishes 

Catherine   

Breast Care Nurse   

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy    

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.