Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radiotherapy and possible delay or cancellation due to coronavirus etc

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Radiotherapy and possible delay or cancellation due to coronavirus etc

Hi Wings

Thanks for posting.

It’s not possible for us to advise on individual cases, especially as you already have lung disease. Many people have been in contact wondering if a diagnosis of breast cancer means they are more at risk of getting the coronavirus (COVID-19) and weighing up the risks versus benefits of treatments. The situation is changing day by day and you are not alone in worrying about delays to your treatment or treatment changes.  

You may want to contact your treatment team to discuss this further as they are in the best position to answer your questions. We hear some people due to have radiotherapy are being told their radiotherapy will be given over a shorter period than originally planned. For several years, clinical trials have been looking at giving radiotherapy over shorter periods. Based on these trials, radiotherapy experts believe shortening some people’s treatment is an acceptable way to allow everyone who needs radiotherapy to be treated.

A diagnosis of breast cancer can cause a lot of anxiety and any treatment delays or changes add worry. Our webpage on managing stress and anxiety may be helpful at this difficult time.

The latest COVID-19 guidance suggests to stay at home and only go outside for food, health reasons or essential work.

Our webpage has more Advice on Coronavirus for people with cancer

The following advice from the NHS will help protect you and others.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Currently our opening hours are Monday to Friday 10am to 3pm, and we are closed on Saturdays.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Grete

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Re: Radiotherapy and possible delay or cancellation due to coronavirus etc

Hi Wings

Thanks for posting your question.

We hope to be able to respond to you tomorrow.

In the meantime our Helpline is open from 10am tomorrow if you would like to talk things through. 

If you do phone our Helpline please let us know that you have asked a question on our forum so that we know your query has been answered. Thank you

With best wishes.

Lisa

Ask Our Nurses Co-ordinator

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

Radiotherapy and possible delay or cancellation due to coronavirus etc

I have early stage, stage 2, estrogen positive but HERS2 negative. Wide incission x 2 ops as first op the margins were not clear enough. Had my planning appointment and was shocked to hear from oncologist I needed 3 weeks Radiotherapy plus a booster week. My breast consultant stated just 3 weeks Radiotherapy. I asked oncologist what the predictive outcome was for me and she stated if I did nothing no Radiotherapy or hormone treatment etc I had a 1% worse outcome.  I asked this as I have lung disease right lung and breast cancer is left breast with a chance Radiotherapy could impact on left lung?

My questions are: if my Radiotherapy is cancelled due to coronavirus how is this likely to impact on my health? Should I be worried?  What if Radiotherapy is cancelled after 1 weeks treatment -. How will that impact?  Would it be preferable not to start Radiotherapy at all and take my chance?  I would then have the option of further treatment if the cancer came back like a possible  mastectomy.  Or perhaps 1 week booster Radiotherapy to left breast only and no other treatment.

Thanks so much for any advice.