Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radiotherapy-to have or to not have

3 REPLIES 3
Nurse_BCN

Re: Radiotherapy-to have or to not have

Hello @tappin 

Thank you for your question. Making decisions about whether to have a treatment can be difficult.

Following a diagnosis and a lumpectomy for DCIS some women will be offered radiotherapy to the breast to reduce the chance of breast cancer coming back (recurrence).  NICE guidelines suggest considering radiotherapy in this situation after discussing the risks and benefits of this treatment. Some experts believe omitting radiotherapy in patients with DCIS who are at low risk of recurrence is an option.

The best people to discuss this with is your treatment team as they will have all the information about you as an individual. As you had your surgery at the end of October, it would be a good idea to talk to them soon.

Taking letrozole will also help to prevent DCIS from coming back or an invasive breast cancer developing in the future. As you say letrozole can have an effect on your bones and you may find our information on osteoporosis and looking after your bones helpful.  

Talking to someone who has had a similar experience can be helpful and our Someone Like Me service can arrange for one of our volunteers to talk to you by email or telephone. Our volunteers have had a personal experience of breast cancer and are trained to provide support. 

You can ring the Someone Like Me team on 0345 077 1893 or email them at someone.likeme@breastcancernow.org,so they can then match you to your volunteer.  

We offer a range of free supportive services that you might be interested in. For more details about all of these services, please see the information on the link. 

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would like a nurse to call you do complete this form. Ticking the box agreeing to a call back. 

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open. 

Best wishes 

Carolyn 

Breast Care Nurse 

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy 

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Tili

Dear Tappin

Yes, please take up the offer of radiotherapy, I had 15 sessions, did feel a bit tired, but this last treatment is the cherry on the cake to clear up anything left behind wishing you lots of luck whatever you decide to you.

hugs Tili 🙏🌈

Susanmanchester

Yes you should. Radiotherapy is painless is extra ‘insurance’ against recurrence and it would not be recommended if not necessary. I had surgery 12 chemo sessions and countless injections . The RT was 15 sessions for me but had v few side effects fatigue mostly 

tappin

Radiotherapy-to have or to not have

After an elective mammogram (I'm 76) which showed some small calcifications, I had a lumpectomy with DCIS at the end of October, followed by 4 lymph nodes removed (all clear). I was put on Letrozole, and offered a 5 day course of radiotherapy. I have taken the Letrozole for about 5 weeks now, and have just had a bone scan(I took HRT for many years 30+ so the previous bone scan I had was at 116% but had to stop it now).

Should I opt for the radiotherapy, given the lymph nodes were clear, and that I am taking the Letrozole (but not happy about that because of the risk of osteoporosis) or should I have it ?- I have to make a decision soon. (it will cover the whole breast).