Thanks for posting. Making decisions about treatment can be difficult and it’s understandable you are wondering if you have made the right decision.
Whilst all treatments have side effects associated with them, the benefits of treatments such as radiotherapy in reducing the risk of a cancer recurring outweigh the risks of side effects. The risk of damage to the heart and lungs is usually very low and minimised by very careful planning. A breath holding technique may also be used to help protect the heart and lungs.
It’s understandable you’re concerned and worried about making the wrong choice. Some women do opt for a mastectomy if they would prefer not to have radiotherapy. However, radiotherapy may still be recommended. You may find it helpful to have a chat to your breast care nurse. She can talk to you in more detail about your individual treatment plan and possible side effects.
We offer a range of free supportive services that you might be interested in.
Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.
The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).
Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.
Breast Cancer Now Nurse
This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.
I spoke to my consultant last week and felt confident in my decision to opt for breast conserving surgery on the 10th Sept to remove the three cancerous lumps in my left breast with radiotherapy afterwards. I also opted to have my right breast operated on at the same time to even everything up.
since then I have read a bit more about radiotherapy to the left side and the possibility of damage to the heart and lungs and all the other side effects. This has sent me into turmoil, should I just opt for a mastectomy as this would eliminate the need for radiotherapy afterwards or are the risks minimal and is it better to opt to save the breast and have a quicker recovery. I am so confused and worried about making the wrong choices now and my health suffering later. I find myself going around in circles, any advice would be gratefully received.