Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seratoma

3 REPLIES 3
Nurse_BCN

Re: Seratoma

Hi Betty1boob

Thanks for your post. It sounds as if you’re having a difficult time with your seroma.

As you’re still feeling tender and uncomfortable, do go back to talk to your treatment team again. As Delly says, the fluid eventually reabsorbs. However, the team may be able to assess you to see if they can drain the fluid again.

If you experience redness or have a raised temperature, it could be a sign of infection. Also, if the swelling worsens, this can indicate a swelling called lymphoedema. Again, do contact the breast care nurse or GP if you develop either of these symptoms.

Taking regular pain relief with an anti-inflammatory might help reduce the swelling and discomfort. Maintaining your post operative exercises will encourage the fluid to mobilise.

At Breast Cancer Now, we offer a range of free supportive services that you might be interested in. For more details about all of these services, please see the information on the link, or call our free Helpline.

Some online courses have been set up while face to face services are suspended.

Talking to someone who has had a similar experience can be helpful and our Someone Like Me service can arrange for one of our volunteers to talk to you by email or telephone. Our volunteers have had a personal experience of breast cancer and are trained to provide support.

You can ring the Someone Like Me team on 0345 077 1893 or email them at someone.likeme@breastcancernow.org,so they can then match you to your volunteer. 

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Next Generation Text service, prefix 18001).

If you would like a nurse to call you do complete this form. Ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Addie

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Betty1boob

thank you delly that is very reassuring, makes me feel normalish xxx

delly

Hi Betty1boob

You haven't told us what procedure you've had, but I'm presuming a mastectomy from your name??!

I too developed a seroma after my 1st mastectomy and full node clearance. Like you, I contacted the team, and arranged to go back to the ward to have it drained (aspirated) by a hypodermic needle >> was great for a few days. But it started reforming again within a week. So arranged to go back for the same, two weeks later, and it was then fine. Any following "slight" build of fluid was then naturally and gradually absorbed by my body. So I would get back in touch with your BCN/team. It may just need another draining, and then be okay. Try it again, lovey. 

If it's the same original size, prior to your 1st draining, I doubt any of the other things you're trying will make much or any difference to it.

Hope a 2nd time sorts it for you.  Let us know.

All good wishes to you,  Delly xXx

Betty1boob

Seratoma

Hi I feel like I have a bean bag under my arm (seratoma) went to have it drained it didn’t work I can’t seem to find many options of what to do. So far heat (hot water bottle) compression ( tried a sports bra today) have ordered post op crop top with sleeves as my arm also feels tender and obviously pain relief the BCN didn’t have any suggestions apart from keep it moving and pain relief. Thank you