Supplements

Hi

I was diagnosed with hormone positive, her negative breast cancer last July. I’ve had surgery and radiotherapy and am now on Letrozole. I’m having significant hot flushes/sweats and some joint pain. Is it safe to take Turmeric supplements for pain and starflower oil for flushes……I’ve read mixed reports for both.

thanks

Hi jlou 

Thank you for posting.  

Many people ask about vitamin and herb supplements. There is often the belief that vitamins and herbs are safe as they are considered natural.  However, herbal treatments don’t have to comply with the same regulations or rigorous testing that conventional medicines do. There is much we don’t know about supplements and herbal remedies.  For many products there is a lack of research to support their use, and some can interfere with conventional medicines including cancer treatments.    

You can search this American website here for information about individual herbs and vitamins. Each has sections on existing evidence and what known interaction there is with other medications.  

You can also search herbal products and supplements on the European website Complementary and Alternative Medicine for cancer and on the American website Medicine Plus   

As you currently take letrozole you should speak to your treatment team, GP, or a pharmacist before taking any supplements, including:  

• herbal remedies (some herbs may have anticoagulant (blood thinning) properties) 
  • any treatments that are bought over the counter or online  

Many people find the menopausal symptoms associated with hormone treatments difficult. It may be worth discussing your symptoms with your treatment team as they might be able to suggest ways to improve the side effects or suggest you try a different drug.   

For many people, it’s not always ‘back to normal’ when they finish hospital treatment for primary breast cancer. Adapting to life after treatment can be difficult and often the need for information and support continues.   

You may be interested in our resources that are particularly for those who have come to the end of their main hospital treatment. These are known as our Moving Forward services and include our  Moving Forward booklet and Moving Forward courses.   

The courses are open to people who have had a primary breast cancer diagnosis and have finished their hospital-based treatment within the last two years.   

Through supportive, open conversations in a safe, confidential space, you’ll connect with people who understand. And you’ll find the tools you need to feel more empowered, confident and in control to begin to move forward with your life.  

You can attend Moving Forward either at our face-to-face course or take part by joining online. Find a course near you or register for an online course via the links above or call us on 03457 077 1893.  

Talking to someone who has had a similar experience can be helpful and our Someone Like Me service can match you with a trained volunteer who’s had a similar experience to you. They’ll be a phone call or email away to answer your questions, offer support or simply listen.  

You can ring the Someone Like Me team on 0114 263 6490 or email them at someone.likeme@breastcancernow.org, so they can then match you to your volunteer.   

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK - prefix 18001). 

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form t** icking the box agreeing to a call back.**  

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am - 1pm on Saturday.   

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.   

Best wishes 

Julie 

Breast Care Nurse   

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy    

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.