Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swelling

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Swelling

Hello bonnieb

Thanks for posting. I understand you posted Saturday and wonder if you did contact your out of hours doctor yesterday or if the swelling has gone down.

Swelling can develop soon after breast surgery. The swelling may affect your breast, chest wall, shoulder and arm. It’s a normal part of the healing process and should lessen six to eight weeks after your surgery. There can also be altered sensation under the arm such as stinging, shooting pains or tingling. This is because the nerves in the area have been disturbed.

If you have any concerns still, do get back in touch with your GP or treatment team.

I imagine you have been given some arm exercises  to help with the healing process and our information about reducing the risk of lymphoedema may be of interest.

You may also be interested in the range of free services we offer. 

Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

Best wishes

Jane

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Swelling

I had WLE  and sentinel lymph nodes removed on 26th July and I have been recovering quite well. I went to see my doctor as I was worried about lymphodema under my arm but she said it was just swelling , no infection. It had calmed down yesterday but this evening it is quite swollen again and I am a little concerned . It isn’t fluid and I don’t think I have an infection as not red or hot . I wanted some advice as to whether I should contact my out of hours doctor tomorrow if it hadn’t gone down . It smarts / stings , is this normal ? 

Thanks