Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tamoxifen and hysterectomy

1 REPLY 1
Nurse_BCN

Re: Tamoxifen and hysterectomy

Hello Mumboss555 

Thanks for your post explaining about treatment for endometriosis and your concerns around not being able to take HRT (Hormone replacement therapy).  

It sounds like your doctor is recommending that you have both your womb and ovaries removed to help the endometriosis and that this will put you into an early menopause. You may have noticed some menopausal symptoms already because of the tamoxifen. For some women the menopause can be severe and have a significant impact on your quality of life. Your decisions about how to try to manage any symptoms may depend on how severe they are. 

You may find our booklet on managing the menopause and breast cancer useful to read. You may also want to talk to your gynaecologist about your concerns regarding your recent breast cancer diagnosis and not being able to take HRT following your surgery. You could also ask your breast cancer treatment team to liaise with the gynaecologist to discuss your case. They may wish to talk it through in their multidisciplinary team meeting (MDT). 

We offer a range of free supportive services that you might be interested in. For more details about all of these services, please see the information on the link, or call our free Helpline 

Some online courses have been set up while face to face services are suspended.  

You can also call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001). 

If you would like a nurse to call you do complete this form. Ticking the box agreeing to a call back.   

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.   

Best wishes  

Rachel   

Breast Care Nurse   

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy    

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread. 

Mumboss555

Tamoxifen and hysterectomy

Hello 

I was diagnosed with breast cancer stage 1 grade 2 ER positive in August 2020 I have had a lumpectomy, therapeutic mammoplasty and radiotherapy.  I am now on tamoxifen for 5 years. I have now been diagnosed with endometriosis which is affecting the uterus. The consultant advised the best treatment would be for a hysterectomy however he advised the only treatment out there after the hysterectomy is HRT which I cannot have because of the type of breast cancer I had and I’m on tamoxifen. 

I just wondered if there was anyone out there in the same boat and that have found an alternative therapy after a hysterectomy. 

Thank you