Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working while undergoing radiotherapy

1 REPLY 1

Re: Working while undergoing radiotherapy

Hi CC1971

Thanks for posting here.

Deciding when to return to work after treatment for breast cancer is a very personal choice rather than a set time frame.

Some people prefer to remain off work until they have completed their hospital based treatments such as chemotherapy and radiotherapy.  Others work throughout treatment or like you, feel ready to go back and might for example work through radiotherapy.

However, it’s worth bearing in mind that many people feel quite tired during their radiotherapy, so a flexible and realistic approach to your return work can helpful in order not to put yourself under pressure.

Whilst you may be aware that you may need to shorten your hours or be signed off, it’s also important your manager and colleagues know, and are able to accommodate this too if you are to return.  If you haven’t done so already, it may be helpful for you to discuss your return options and make them aware of the possibility of you needing further time off or shorter hours.

Quite often, asking others about the practicalities of returning to work can be helpful. You can do this by posting here on the online discussion forum or through our Someone Like Me service.  The service has over 200 volunteers (including teachers) who have had a personal experience of breast cancer and are trained to provide support and share their experience. The volunteers are able to talk to you by email or telephone.

Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open. 

Best wishes

Catherine

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Working while undergoing radiotherapy

Hi

I had a lumpectomy and one lymph node removed at the beginning of May, I was very lucky and it was stage 2 inductive ducal Breast cancer and had not spread. My radiotherapy starts this month, three days after I am due to return to work as a deputy head teacher. I have been signed off work from my operation as I had envisaged not returning to work until treatment was complete.

However due to the time between my operation and treatment I am keen to get back to work and all my appointments are first thing in the morning, which would make it possible.

Currently I am very well and have healed very well.

I am aware if I go back to work and I may have to be signed off again as the treatment progresses, but was looking for some advice please.

Thank you