Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Area of thickening

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Area of thickening

Hi Daylily1803

Thanks for posting.

It’s important to be aware of any changes to the chest or surrounding area after your mastectomy. As you have noticed this new thickened area, you can contact your breast care nurse or someone in the team to see if they are able to bring your appointment forward. If they can’t see you any earlier, at least you already have an early appointment in place.

You may want to have a look at our booklet After breast cancer treatment: what now? It includes information about being breast and body aware.

Unfortunately it’s not possible to say whether it’s anything to worry about. Finding a new breast change can be a worrying and stressful time especially when you are trying to protect the people around you. You are very welcome to call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

We are currently reviewing our Forum service and wonder if you would have five to 10 minutes to complete a short survey. The survey will help us gather information about this service and understand more about any improvements we can make.

Best wishes

Grete

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Re: Area of thickening

Dear Daylily1803

Thanks for posting your question.

We hope to be able to respond to you tomorrow.

In the meantime our Helpline is open until 4pm today if you would like to talk things through. 

If you do phone our Helpline please let us know that you have asked a question on our forum so that we know your query has been answered. Thank you

With best wishes.

Lisa

Ask Our Nurses Co-ordinator

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer .

Area of thickening

Hi I was diagnosed with er/pr 8/8 breast cancer just 3 years ago.
I was treated with letrozole following a mastectomy and immediate reconstruction.
Yesterday I had significant pain to the side of the chest area very close to the breast.
Today whilst I was in the bath , I noticed quite a large area which is ‘thickened ‘ in the same area as the pain. Not painful unless I press harder , but very definitely a change.
I found a thickened area in the breast when initially diagnosed so that makes me worry about it.
I am due to see my breast surgeon on the 9th Feb for annual review.
What do you think ? Should I see someone before then or shall I wait to see the surgeon?
Is it anything to worry about ? Silly question I know , I don’t want to worry my husband so needed to ask the question and ‘talk to someone ‘.
Thank you.