Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awaiting liver scan results


Re: Awaiting liver scan results

Hi Bakeswhenstres

Thanks for posting.

It sounds like a difficult time for you. 

Waiting for results can be a worrying and stressful time, particularly as you have encountered delays due to the coronavirus pandemic.

It’s not possible for us to say why your blood tests are elevated and what the cause may be. Although understandably you are worried that one of the causes could be linked to your previous diagnosis of breast cancer, there may be other reasons for your GGT and ALP to be raised. 

Hopefully, your GP will have the results of ultrasound on Monday which may help to explain what may be causing the changes in your blood test results.  Your GP will then be best placed to tell you if any delays in having the ultrasound have impacted on your health. 

If you are still being followed up with your breast treatment team it may be helpful to contact them to discuss your recent test results and what they may mean.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes


Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread


Awaiting liver scan results

I was first diagnosed with BC in 2007, treated with chemo, surgery and rads and then Tamoxifen until I had a local recurrence in 2013. More chemo, surgery and rads, and I have been on zoladex and anastrozole ever since. Earlier this year I started feeling short of breath and suffering palpitations, blood tests revealed elevated liver GGT of 94 (I understand normal is below 50). Another test 2 weeks later showed GGT increased to 117. Was scheduled for ultrasound but it was cancelled due to Coronavirus, GP decided to just repeat bloods after a 6 week interval. Latest GGT levels were 198 and ALP now also raised. After making a fuss with my GP he referred me for an urgent ultrasound which I had on Monday, results will take a week.

I am really worried my symptoms could be caused by liver secondaries. Is this likely, or would I be noticing other symptoms? I have some abdominal discomfort, but very mild and could just be stress related.

If it is liver secondaries, how much might my prognosis be affected by the delay of about 10 weeks in getting the ultrasound?