Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Confused

Hello Ti Bone

Thanks for posting.

It’s understandable you are confused. Sometimes it can take a little while and a range of tests to confirm someone’s diagnosis. What might appear to be one condition to start with, in fact turns out to be something else.

It sounds as if you have breast cancer that has spread to the lymph nodes under your arm, your bone and lung. This is known as metastatic or secondary breast cancer. This can be a shock especially  if you have had no specific symptoms.

In this situation treatment like Herceptin can begiven (if appropriate) as it treats areas in the body that are affected including the breast. A mastectomy will treat the breast only and not anywhere else so is not usually offered but might be considered if there are breast symptoms.

Other treatments like hormone therapy and chemotherapy may be appropriate as well.

Your hospital team will let you know what the most appropriate treatment for you will be,  after this  has been decided at multi-disciplinary team (MDT) meeting. It might help to find out if you have a breast care nurse. The breast care nurse is usually the key contact for those diagnosed with breast cancer.

You might be interested in the range of services we offer.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Jane

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Confused

I have only recently been diagnosed after a visit to the A&E

First my GP told me it was lung cancer, then they told me I had been referred from the chest to breast cancer people. After the CT Scan I had a biopsy and the told me it was might right hand breast only with a big lump and some small lumps there and under the armpits - no lungs. The I had a phone call from one consultant who told me that he was not really responsible and had referred me to the advanced cancer as - had I not known - the CT scan showed the lungs had metastases, but - good news - nothing else and as I was still young (I am 56) they would treat me. The week after I had someone from advance on who told me they could not advise how much my lungs were affected as the CT scan report did not tell but I had a little bit on the bones as well. Treatment would be discussed next week.

I felt fit as fiddle, with only a some on-and-off arm ache (left) which I had been told by the walk-in centre (no good trying to get an appointment at the GP) was arthritis for which they could not do anything. Since the biopsy my left breast and armpit aches like mad and I have great difficulty at work lifting and labelling anything that is more than 1kg.

I understand that they probably will want to treat lung and bone with something called herceptin (I rang the chest consultant who was much more helpful than the breast people), but is there a chance to have the breast off as well? I asked about 15 years ago when I had my hysterectomy but they said they did not do beauty treatment, nor did BUPA as I could not product a GP referral.

Many thanks for any help.