Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Covid19 vaccine

2 REPLIES 2
Nurse_BCN

Re: Covid19 vaccine

Hi Fran

Thanks for your post about having the Covid-19 vaccine while on eribulin treatment for secondary breast cancer.

Now that the COVID-19 vaccination programme is underway, many people with breast cancer are asking if it’s safe to have the vaccine while they are having treatment.

As we explain in our blog, for most people having cancer treatment it’s much safer to have the vaccine than not to have it and risk catching coronavirus.

The available Covid-19 vaccines are considered safe for people having treatments that can weaken the immune system, such as chemotherapy.

When you have your Covid-19 vaccination may depend on the timing of your eribulin treatment, so it’s good that you have already contacted your oncologist who will be able to advise you about this.

People considered to be clinically extremely vulnerable, which may be the case if you’re having treatment, are advised to continue shielding even after both doses of the vaccine.

While the vaccine is expected to offer some protection against the virus, we don’t yet know what that level is, especially if your immune system is weakened by cancer treatments. This is a precautionary measure to keep you as safe as possible.

You might be interested in this Facebook live event with a consultant oncologist answering questions about the Covid 19 vaccine for people who are on breast cancer treatment.

Cancer Research UK (CRUK) also have information about the current situation with COVID-19 vaccines and the latest vaccine delivery plan.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

If you would like a nurse to call you do complete this form. Ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Anne

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Nurse_BCN

Re: Covid19 vaccine

Hi Fran

Thanks for posting your question.

We hope to be able to respond to you tomorrow.

In the meantime our Helpline is open until 4pm today if you would like to talk things through. 

If you do phone our Helpline please let us know that you have asked a question on our forum so that we know your query has been answered. Thank you

With best wishes.

Lisa

Ask Our Nurses Co-ordinator

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

Fran1962

Covid19 vaccine

Hi,

I have secondary breast cancer which have spread to other soft tissue and bone. I currently have cancer in the lungs with fluid on the lung and lung fibrosis. I am also taking fragmin (blood thinner). I have currently having chemotherapy treatment which is Eribulin. I was concerned about whether I should be having the vaccine. 

I have contacted my oncologist and waiting for a response. 

Kind regards 

Fran