Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High liver function reading in bloods

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: High liver function reading in bloods

Hi Juliesid1

Thanks for posting here.

It’s possible that treatments or other conditions can affect liver function which can show in blood tests. However, as you mention that the tumours in your liver have increased in size, it sounds like this may be the reason. Although it’s not possible for us to say what is causing the change.

There isn’t usually anything you personally can do to influence the liver function tests.  Your team will monitor the effect of your treatment with eribulin to see if it reduces the size of the tumours.  They will also check if it has an effect your blood tests as this this may indicate whether the treatment is working and will also give them information to ensure it’s still safe to continue with chemotherapy.

As everyone’s situation is different, it’s not possible to say for certain whether any side effects you experience may be worse because of your altered liver function. However, your treatment team may be able to answer this more fully.

Coping with secondary breast cancer can be completely overwhelming.  It can be hard to know what to think, where to turn to for support, and even harder to find anyone who really understands what it feels like to live with the diagnosis.

We provide a number of different services for people living with secondary breast cancer aimed at providing both information and support.

Our helpline team are here for anyone diagnosed with secondary breast cancer. They have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and/or signpost you to more support and information, so you may wish to give them a call to talk this through more.

At times like this, some people find it helpful to talk with others who are going through a similar experience.  We have a secondary breast cancer online discussion forum for sharing information and support.  There is also a weekly Live chat session which runs on Tuesdays at 8.30-9.30pm. 

Both services allow people to talk over their experiences and offer support to each other. 

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Please be aware that we will be closed on Friday 8 May due to the bank holiday.

Best wishes

Catherine

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

High liver function reading in bloods

Hi, 

ive has secondary breast cancer for 5 years. Hormone treatments kept me reasonable stable for 3 years with bone mets. Then it spread to my liver in June 2018. EE kept me stable for a year. The last 3 treatments of fulvestrant, paclitaxel and capecitabine haven’t worked at all.
I start Eribulin on Friday but bloods taken last Wednesday and yesterday show a high liver function of 51 and 53. I understand normal range is up to 40. 
the recent scans showed a significant increase in size of tumours in liver. 
Are the readings likely to be high because of the cancer in my liver affecting liver function or because of something else? Can I do anything to bring levels down? If levels don’t decrease is chemo likely to be stopped? Will I suffer worse chemo side effects because of the liver function readings?