Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange symptoms and secondary fears

3 REPLIES 3
Nurse_BCN

Re: Strange symptoms and secondary fears

Hi @SHMH 

Thanks for posting. 

It can be worrying to experience unexplained symptoms having had treatment for breast cancer. As Jaybro says, the internet can bring up all sorts of information which is unlikely to apply to you. 

However, it’s important to report new and persistent symptoms so it’s good to hear that you have seen your GP, and that she will refer you back to the team to be sure your blood tests don’t show any obvious cause for the symptoms you describe. 

Although it’s been some time since your diagnosis in 2016, you might find it helpful to contact your breast care nurse to ask to talk over what’s been happening. She will be able to let you know how the clinic is managing appointments and whether your husband will be able to attend an appointment in light of your anxiety if it’s necessary. You might also find our information on managing stress and anxiety helpful to read.  

It’s natural to feel terrified at the thought of your cancer having returned.  You might find it helpful to call our Helpline to spend some time talking this through or ask questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001). 

If you would prefer a nurse to call you do complete this form. Ticking the box agreeing to a call back. 

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.   

Best wishes  

Catherine   

Breast Care Nurse   

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy    

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.  

Jaybro

Hi

To address one of your concerns, my oncologist actually asks for my husband to come with me (he seems more concerned about how badly my husband has taken my diagnosis and how he’s not reassured when i go home with good news!). You would be asked to go alone for certain tests maybe but they are always flexible with anxious patients. At least, my hospital is. I am a very anxious patient yet, oddly, quite phlegmatic about a secondary diagnosis.

BUT please don’t jump the gun. If you are referred, it doesn’t mean you have it. That has to be confirmed by an oncologist, not Dr Google. So PLEASE keep off the internet for your own peace of mind and focus on that anxiety. There are some excellent videos to help you relax on YouTube. I use Progressive Hypnosis’s Cure Anxiety almost daily.

Take care. I hope the nurse will reassure you xx

Nurse_BCN

Hi @SHMH 

Thanks for posting your question.

We hope to be able to respond to you tomorrow.

In the meantime our Helpline is open from 9am tomorrow if you would like to talk things through. 

If you do phone our Helpline please let us know that you have asked a question on our forum so that we know your query has been answered.

Thank you.

With best wishes.

Jayne

Ask Our Nurses Service Administrator

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

SHMH

Strange symptoms and secondary fears

Hello

I had breast cancer in 2016, only a small lump that had not spread. No hormones were found to be involved (The breast cancer was caused by radiotherapy given for Hodgkin's Lymphoma in 1994. I also chemo for the Hodgkin's in 1994, and then in 1997 had a stem cell transplant for reoccurrence, which was thankfully successful ).

For the breast cancer I had a mastectomy and 4 doses of chemotherapy. Then I had a prophylactic mastectomy of the other breast in 2018. 

I have now been getting some strange symptoms that have been increasingly worrying me. I started a couple of months ago with numbness in my toes, then more recently I've had more general tingling and strange sensations in parts of my legs, plus for the past week I occasionally feel nauseous. I am generally a very anxious person, but eventually I plucked up courage to see a gp after weeks of no improvement in the tingling/numbness. I saw the gp yesterday and she did a thorough examination and today took blood tests. She said if the blood tests don't show anything else obviously going on she will refer me back to the hospital where I had breast cancer treatment. I am truly terrified of going back to the hospital, I suffer from bad anxiety, and I am very afraid they may say the cancer has spread. I have read so much scary stuff online about this. I am also afraid of going back to the hospital because covid means I will probably have to have any consultation on my own without the support of my husband being there.