Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surgery date

1 REPLY 1
Nurse_BCN

Re: Surgery date

Hi Green Dragon

Thank you for your post.

Surgery is the first treatment for many people with a diagnosis of breast cancer.

Whatever type of breast cancer you have, national guidance states that you should have your surgery within 31 days of you and your treatment team agreeing to it. This may not always be possible for a number of reasons, however your surgery should take place as close to this time target as possible.

You can ask your team why you have been given this date as it does not fit with the national guidance target.  You could do this by speaking to your breast care nurse (if you have one) who may be able to act on your behalf to do this.

If you’re unable to resolve a concern, you may want to contact services such as the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) (or similar services if you are in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland). This is a confidential service for patients, their families, and carers. They can help resolve concerns related to health matters, explain, and handle complaints procedures and use feedback to help influence change. PALS work with staff, managers, and if relevant, external organisations to provide support and advice to people concerned about the care they are receiving. 

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would like a nurse to call you do complete this form. Ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Please be aware that we will close at 12.30pm on Friday 24 December and be open again from 9am on Wednesday 29 December. We will close again at 12.30pm on Friday 31 December, and open again from Tuesday 4 January 2022

You may be interested to know that we offer a range of free supportive services. 

Best wishes

Catherine

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Green dragon

Surgery date

Hi,

I was diagnosed with Tubular breast cancer (2 lumps 8mm and 10mm) ,grade 1 on 10th November. I have been given a date of 17th January for the surgery. Does this seem a long time to you? I realise that it is not the sort which spreads easily but even so. I didn't expect to have to wait that long.