Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying not to panic

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Trying not to panic

Hi Janey2

Thank you for your post.

It’s natural you’re feeling anxious about the cause of your rib pain but, it’s good you’re seeking more support for yourself.

Developing a new symptom can cause panic and anxiety, and many people worry that any ache or pain could be the cancer returning. There could be a number of different reasons for this but it’s important to get thoroughly checked.

Everybody copes differently with a new symptom and it might help to talk this through with one of us here on the Helpline, especially as you understandably don’t want to worry your family.

Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Also, some people find connecting with other people who may be going through a similar situation on the main section of the forum helpful.

Best wishes

Heidi

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Thank you so so much June for replying and that does offer a lot of reassurance. My mammogram was only a few weeks ago and clear. I’m going to speak with GP again tomorrow and ask if I should be discussing with BCN also. Xx

Hi Janey2.

Sorry to hear that you are having a worrying time.  I wondered if my experience of pains "after the event" might help to give you an alternative "what if".

I'm 6 years on from my treatment - lumpectomy & rads with removal of two lymph nodes which were mercifully clear.  Like you, I also went through a tough time a couple of years ago when I started getting a lot of pain on my op side.  Ribs hurt, I had stabbing pains deep in my breast and a feeling when I touched it that the area was very bruised but with no sign of one.  Tried not to panic too - though it was hard not to imagine the worst. I think all of us immediately think mets when there's a problem!!!!

I talked to the BC nurse at the hospital and she arranged an appointment with the consultant.  He decided a whole body scan was the way to go just to be sure - all very concerning.

After a scan which found nothing to worry about, my consultant decided it was a combination of rads, scar tissue and nerve damage.  I still have it and take paracetamol occasionally if it is terrible but mostly manage without.  I've found that it's worse if I sit twisted and if I lean on my ribs (which I often seem to do on the arm of the sofa!). 

I do hope that your blood test results are okay and that it is something non-threatening for you too. 

Remembering that there are a lot of other things that cause aches, pains and difficulties is very difficult when you have cancer and immediately think the worst - just try to keep as positive as you can. Thinking of you.

Lots of love June x

Highlighted

Thank you for your prompt reply. 

Highlighted

Hi Janey2

Thanks for posting your question.

We hope to be able to respond to you on Monday.

Usually I'd say in the meantime our Helpline is open until 4pm today, and we are open between 9am and 1pm tomorrow (Saturday) if you would like to talk things through. However, we are experiencing technical problems with our Helpline this afternoon and it's currently closed. We are hoping the fault will soon be repaired. 

If you do phone our Helpline please let us know that you have asked a question on our forum so that we know your query has been answered. Thank you

With best wishes.

Lisa

Ask Our Nurses Co-ordinator

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

Highlighted

Trying not to panic

Hi. It’s been so long since I’ve posted. I’m 4 years post diagnosis and just had a clear mammogram. I’ve been struggling with fatigue the last few weeks and went to see my GP. She asked about any other pain and I mentioned I thought I’d pulled a muscle in my back, as very painful. She says it’s rib pain and has taken bloods and said if no better soon she will refer for scans. When I got home, I made the sudden leap to rib pain = mets and in a panic. I don’t want to share panic with family, as hopefully unwarranted, but feeling very anxious and knew you lovely lot would understand x