A cluster of lumps on nipple

Hey, I am 18 years old. When I was 12, I found a small lump beside my left nipple. At 14, one day, I could feel a cluster of uneven lumps on my left nipple. The nipple skin looks uneven and different from the other one. I went to two different doctors. None of them could feel any lump on my breast. Even ultrasound couldn’t find anything. But recently I got a red spot on my breast and it does not go away. I also feel numb in my left shoulder and hands. Can it be cancer? And what can be the reason that doctor or ultrasound can’t find anything on my breast when I can easily feel it. I am very concerned for years. Any answer regarding this would help me. Thanks

Hello Heya

Thanks for posting about the concerns you have had over the years with changes in your breast, and more recent symptoms.

Some women do feel anxious about changes they notice in their breasts. Breast changes can happen for many reasons. They may be part of normal development, hormonal changes as part of your monthly cycle (period) or due to benign conditions (not cancer). You’ll probably find your breasts change quite a bit throughout your life. Skin changes also happen.

Getting breast cancer in your teens is very rare so the changes you have noticed are much more likely to be because of one of the reasons mentioned above rather than cancer. You may find it interesting to read about some of the things teenage girls may notice about their breasts.

It’s likely the ultrasound didn’t find anything abnormal, only normal breast tissue but your GP will have had a letter from the hospital explaining this, so it might help to talk it through with your GP. You can also talk to them about the red spot you have noticed on your breast and the feeling of numbness you have in your left shoulder and hand. There can be many reasons for these symptoms which your GP can explain to you.

Do also talk through the concerns you have with your GP and a trusted family member or friend. Sharing concerns we have can help ease the worry they can cause.

You are also welcome to call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Jane

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.