Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I being paranoid?

2 REPLIES 2
Nurse_BCN

Re: Am I being paranoid?

Hello dontknowwhattoput

Thanks for posting.

We encourage everyone to be breast aware. Being breast aware means getting to know what your breasts look and feel like normally (for you). This will then give you the confidence to notice and report any changes to your GP.

Breast changes can happen for many reasons. They may be due to hormonal changes as part of your monthly cycle (period) or due to benign conditions (not cancer). You’ll probably find your breasts change quite a bit throughout your life.

For more details see our booklet Know your breasts: a guide to breast awareness and screening.

Breast cancer is uncommon in women 30s so the change you have noticed is more likely to be because of one of the reasons mentioned above rather than cancer. What you have noticed may also be your normal breast anatomy but as it sounds like its new, and you are unsure, we would always suggest that you make an appointment with your GP to have it checked as Shi says.  It's never a waste of time even if nothing abnormal is found.

There are private breast clinics if you prefer. You can search for a service in your area through this link.

Some people wonder if they are more at risk of breast cancer if someone in their family was diagnosed like your aunt. Only a small number of people have a significant family history that might increase their risk. You can read more about this here.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would like a nurse to call you do complete this form. Ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

We will be closed on Saturday the 21st of May for training.

Best wishes

Jane

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: Am I being paranoid?

❤️No you are not being paranoid you are being vigilant ❤️ always get everything checked out ❤️ early detection if it is anything can make a difference ❤️well done for being vigilant and reaching out to breast cancer now. Please let us know how you get on ❤️💕💕Shi xx

dontknowwhattoput

Am I being paranoid?

Hi all 🙂

im 31 with a 12, nearly 13 year old daughter. Around 6-8 months ago I felt a small, grain of rice type lump and another small lump around 5oclock on my right breast and near to the chest wall. I got it checked and the doctor referred me but the breast clinic scanned me and said there was nothing there. Now I have found what feels like a kidney bean around 1 inch directly above my nipple on the same breast. After looking at anatomy of breasts I’m wondering if it is just a lobe. Is it possible I could be feeling a lobe? I’m so apprehensive to get it checked as I don’t want to waste their time again. My mums sister had breast cancer and Alzheimer’s and passed from her diseases aged 56. Is there anywhere private I can go and pay to have it checked?