Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anxiety or not?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Anxiety or not?

Hi Rachey

Thanks for posting.

It sounds like you are having a difficult time at the moment.

Many people are surprised at how emotional they feel after their treatment finishes. Adapting to life after treatment can be difficult. It’s good to hear you have been in touch with your team. You can ask them for the mammogram result to get some closure. Some people do have lasting pain after treatment but for you it may also be related to your fibromyalgia. Stress and anxiety can make you feel worried and tense and cause muscle tension, which could also be contributing to your symptoms. Adequate pain relief may be important to help you move forward.

You may be interested in our resources that are particularly for those who have come to the end of their main hospital treatment. These are known as our Moving forward services and include our Moving Forward Book

Outside the current coronavirus situation, our Moving Forward courses also provide information, also provide information, support and professional guidance on how to cope with, and adjust to, life after breast cancer treatment.

However, we’ve had to take the difficult decision to suspend all of our face-to-face services until the end of June 2020, following the latest government guidance regarding coronavirus.

The HelplineAsk Our NursesSomeone Like Me and online Forum support services are all still running as usual.

If you have any questions about our courses please email NRC@breastcancernow.org.

As far as we know, the majority of people who have had breast cancer will not be at any higher risk and so can follow the advice given for the rest of the population. Here is the latest advise for people at high risk to follow the guidance on  shielding.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Grete

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Here’s the link you want. This guy truly understands what a lot of us feel about the Now What?

https://www.workingwithcancer.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/After-the-treatment-finishes-then-wha...

Highlighted

Hi

I have a similar issue, so understand totally! 
I am 5 months cancer free and feel as if I’m more anxious now! I think Lockdown has a lot to do with it - it’s been a long time since we were normal and Will normality be the same in the future? That is exactly the same as with cancer - you are not the same person afterwards!

I have had long discussions with BC nurses and each time I’ve been told to give myself time to settle again!

I’ve also had to go back to the clinic twice - I think our experience heightens our sensitivity to something being wrong. Get anything checked - your treatment team won’t mind - but also take advantage of support out there for your anxiety.

All the best,

Highlighted

Hi Rachey, 

im sorry that you’re feeling this way and are struggling with the pain. Would you call your BCN to put your mind at rest re the mammogram and maybe talk about how you’re feeling and the pain you’re in? 

I was diagnosed feb 19, surgery in April and no further treatment from May 19. Prior to surgery I was full of anxiety and emotionally numb. Post surgery the emotion has completely overwhelmed me and I’ve really struggled. Fast forward to feb - April this year and it brought up so much emotion and anxiety. It felt as though everything I should’ve felt at diagnosis I felt it a year on. It was and to an extent is still really hard going. I’ve been consumed by anxiety and at times very upset over everything that happened. I feel I’m still coming to terms with losing my breast and waiting on recon. I’ve just gone back to the counsellor I saw last year and she described it as a traumatic event which I’m still trying to process. 

Have you had any support at all? The nurses at breast cancer now are brilliant to talk to and I’ve spoken to a volunteer from someone like me who has made me realise what I’m feeling is normal. It’s very hard during the lockdown but there is telephone support which does help. 

Have you read the article by Dr Peter Harvey, After The Treatment Ends What Now? If I knew how to I’d attach the link but you’ll find it from google. Unfortunately I think worry is a side effect that we have to find a way to live with and completely normal considering everything we’ve been through but please call your BCN for some reassurance. 

Highlighted

Anxiety or not?

I am just under a year Cancer free but I am feeling like something is wrong. I have a lot of pain but have been told it is a reaction to the Radiotherapy.

I keep getting a lot of pain in my body but I also have Fibromyalgia and I do not know if I am just getting more flare ups from that.

I had a Mammogram in March and I am assuming it was clear as I didn't get any results.

I feel more anxious now that I was when I was first diagnosed. Not sure if I am just worrying over nothing, am just anxious and fed up with the Covid19 Sheilding, or if I should trust my gut on this.

I could use some advice please.