Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask about both during ultrasound?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Ask about both during ultrasound?

Hi Steph22

Thanks for posting.

It’s understandable that you’re concerned about your breast lump and isn’t silly that you’d like to have both breast checked, given your sister is having breast cancer treatment. 

At the breast clinic you will usually be seen and examined before having an ultrasound or mammogram.  They would usually only do an ultrasound on the affected side unless there is a clinical indication to do the other breast.  However, if you are over 40 you can expect to have a mammogram of breasts.  Our information about what happens at the breast clinic appointment explains all of this in more detail. 

If you ask the person doing the ultrasound, they might be happy to do both sides under the circumstances, although this is unlikely.

Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

Please be aware that we will be closed on Monday 26 August due to the bank holiday.

Best wishes

Addie

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Hi Steph

I guess it’s too late to say it’s too soon to panic. I had a 6cm lump (how could we have not noticed it???) in my left breast in my 30s and it turned out to be a fibroadenoma, harmless but removed nonetheless.  End of story... 30 years on, I had two tiny bumps on my left nipple. The doctor then found a lump between my ribs which she thought might be scar tissue from the original surgery but she referred me to a consultant who was equally unconcerned. I’d had a clear mammogram and the ultrasound was clear but the consultant decided to biopsy the bumps. Thank god he did...11 months on, my treatment for invasive lobular cancer is drawing to a close. My GP told me the other day that she was astounded at the results as I displayed none of the usual signs, not even in the way the lump felt. You just don’t know till the experts get the right tests done so do ask - it’s not silly to feel concerned. You will have both breasts palpated and possibly mammogrammed anyway but asking does no harm. If the ultrasound reveals anything suspicious, you may have a needle biopsy there and then. I hope it goes well for you. Obviously your sister’s experience is on your mind but it doesn't mean your lump is the same. Most lumps turn out to be harmless (having scared the wits out of us).

Hi Steph22,

Try not to panic - there are many harmless causes of breast lumps and you are doing totally the right thing getting it checked out. Usually they will do a mammogram of both breasts and an ultrasound (I think that was also of both sides but mine was 5 years ago now!). If they find anything which they are unsure about they may need to do a core needle biospsy to take a very very small amount of tissue from the lump. This is guided by the ultrasound. I got to see the onc after the ultrasound, who gave me a brief opportunity for any q's and told me the results would be back a week later, and a follow up appointment made then and there. Some relatively harmless lumps, such as those caused by fatty necrosis can look extremely similar to some types of bc lump on the mammo/ultrasound, so try not to panic.

Useful to wear skirt or trousers and separate top on scan day since you only need to remove your top. and no underarm deoderant  since it can affect the clarity of scans etc.

Do come back to the forum if you have any other q's.

I found the NHS team really good.

Seabreeze x 

I had a call back from a mammogram and a ductal cancer found in one breast after biopsy. Fortunately for me I have private insurance and transferred immediately to a private hospital where the breast consultant requested another ultrasound of both breasts with her choice of radiographer, a lobular cancer was found in the other breast which had been  completely missed on the callback and review of the mammogram even though neither were palpable but was entirely visible on both mammogram and ultrasound .If I'd remained at the original hospital one side would have been operated on, chemo'd and rt and at some point in the future a mammogram showing the other cancer would have been seen but who knows how far down the line it would have been by that time and I'd have been panicking that the original had spread ?  Thus my advice would be to request that they check both sides thoroughly now..

Ask about both during ultrasound?

Hello there

Having had some concerns about a lump in my left breast, I did go to the doctor who confirmed she could feel a lump and has referred me for an ultrasound. I'm both relieved (to know I wasn't imagining it and wasting someone's time!) and scared stiff in equal measure.

The background is my sister (in her 40s) is currently undergoing BC treatment which made me more aware/check more thoroughly. I don't know that the process will be for the appointment but I was wondering whether it is appropriate to ask them to check both (even though I have only felt a lump in one)? Is that a normal thing to ask? I feel so paranoid and worried but don't want to raise anything that is actually a bit silly...given that the right one seems to me to be normal. xx