Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breast changes after biopsy

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Breast changes after biopsy

Hi MoonandStars

Thanks for posting.

It sounds as though you are awaiting a second biopsy so its natural to worry if any bruising from the first biopsy could lead to a delay.

A breast biopsy usually causes some bruising and sometimes can cause a haematoma to form (a  collection of blood in the area of the biopsy).  Internal bruising or a haematoma may cause a hard lump in the area of the biopsy which can also be tender and painful. This may take many weeks to be reabsorbed by the body and would be assessed at the clinic before your next biopsy. It is possible to repeat a biopsy when there is bruising, but this is usually assessed by doing an ultrasound prior to any procedure.  If the area that needs to be biopsied is visible, it is likely the biopsy would be repeated.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Eve

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Breast changes after biopsy

Hello

I had a biopsy on an 8mm lump 19 days ago (since had a recall as they missed the lump tissue) and the bruising has just about gone, however when I feel my breast I can still make out the small lump I had biopsied but around it is quite hard making it harder to distinguish the lump. Is this normal after a biopsy? Is this just internal bruising and will they be able to perform the second biopsy even if this hard area is still there?

Thank you