Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breast lump - scared

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Breast lump - scared

Hello Em896

Thanks for posting. Finding a breast lump can be really frightening.

It sounds as if you may have seen a doctor yesterday. I wonder if you have been referred to the breast clinic. If so as @Jaybro says most people seen at the breast clinic have a benign (not cancer) condition. Breast cancer is also uncommon in women in their 30’s. It’s important to be sure though so it’s good you saw someone yesterday for assessment.

As @Anniej  mentions is best to not constantly feel the area. Although it’s tempting to check frequently it will not help and can cause bruising and tenderness.

Whatever the outcome of your appointment you can see there is lots of help available. Our Forums are really supportive. You may also want on chat with one of us. We often find we can help people more by talking things through. Call to our Helpline are  confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Please be aware we will be closed on Saturday 7 November for training purposes. 

Best wishes

Jane

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Hello Jaybro, 

Thank you for this, again I massively appreciate the reassurance. You are right, being so worked up won’t change anything and I don’t even know anything yet. But I will keep that fact in my mind. 

Thank you xx 

Highlighted

Hi Em

There’s not much to add to Annie’s excellent advice except a virtual hug and this FACT - the majority of breast lumps turn out to be benign, even those that get referred on to a consultant. I had a large lump in my early 30s. It was a fibroadenoma, harmless but best removed. So conserve your energy and ask yourself what’s the point of being terrified when, whatever the cause, you cant change it (does that make sense? It’s kind of how I got through my diagnosis and treatment). 

All the best next week. Meanwhile, look after your emotions xx

Highlighted

Hi AnnieJ, 

Thank you so much for your reply, your reassurance and advice is a massive help! I have managed to make an appointment for an out of hours doctor for tomorrow so it’s less time to panic. I am fully expecting the referral so that’s not going to be a surprise, you are right about the unknown. 

Thank you again for taking the time to reply xx 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Big deep breaths, Em. First things first....stop poking and prodding your boob. The only thing that will happen is that your boob will be sore and you will be even more worried! If it is cancer...IF....then 48 hours will make no difference. Until you have been diagnosed then there’s every chance that it isn’t . It could be a benign growth, and until it is investigated properly you won’t know. It’s quite understandable that you feel distraught. For so many years cancer has been classed as a killer disease with a capital C. That’s not the case now. With all the research, the treatments now available are too numerous to mention. There are so many people on this site who have the disease and are here to tell their stories. IF you do have cancer then you will be looked after by a team of medical experts who will decide on a treatment plan which will give you the very best chance. Your success will be their success. However, we are getting ahead of ourselves.....you haven’t yet been diagnosed. Having been in your situation my advice would be to try and stay calm, however difficult that seems. Stay busy. Do NOT Google information. This search engine is out of date with cancer treatments, and it’s not a doctor nor a medical journal. Make that phone call on Monday, knowing that help is at hand. Your doctor will get the ball rolling, and once on the hospital route there will be lots of sympathetic support from staff. These nurses have seen panic in all shapes so are well used to giving reassurance, even if you do have to attend appointments alone. You do need to ask, though, if you can bring someone with you. Shy bairns get nowt....as my old mum used to say! Let us know on Monday how you’ve got on, then we’ll help you along from that point . It’s the unknown that’s the scariest. Good luck.🍀

Highlighted

Breast lump - scared

Hello, I am absolutely out of my mind with worry.

Last night my boyfriend mentioned he felt a lump in my right breast, I felt too and can feel a smallish, smooth, solid lump (I am struggling to decide if it is hard because everytime I feel it I panic) just below my nipple. I have to put pressure on my nipple with one hand to feel it as it isn't protruding, it feels a bit deeper in my breast. It was painless (although it is tender now I have been touching it) but I am not sure if it is immobile or not! 

I have anxiety and had a complete meltdown resulting in making myself sick. I am terrified it is cancer and my mind has gone into overdrive thinking the worst. I am in my early 30s and have no history of breast cancer in my family. 

My doctors are closed until Monday and I don't know what to do with myself. I have tossed and turned all night and cannot stop crying. I am particularly scared as I know I will have to face appointments alone. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.