Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discomfort in underarm

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Discomfort in underarm

Hi Carol

Its good to hear that you were given the all clear following your lumpectomy and that no further treatment was needed for your LCIS/DCIS.

We are unable to say what may be causing you this intermittent discomfort under your arm. You are right that sometimes our bodies take a while to heal following surgery and discomfort or pain can occur many months after surgery. However, we would always suggest following up with your treatment team any concerns you have. Perhaps you can give your breast care nurse a ring to discuss this.

You may be interested in our resources that are particularly for those who have come to the end of their main hospital treatment. These are known as our Moving forward services and include our Moving Forward Book

Outside the current coronavirus situation, our Moving Forward courses also provide information, support and professional guidance on how to cope with, and adjust to, life after breast cancer treatment.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ve had to take the difficult decision to suspend all of our face-to-face services for now. 

However, a Moving Forward online course has been set up as an alternative while face to face services are suspended and is open to people who have had a primary breast cancer diagnosis and have finished their hospital-based treatment within the last two years. 

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Wendy

Breast Care Nurse

Breast Cancer Now

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Discomfort in underarm

Hi

I have noticed that there is still some discomfort in my underarm when i do things like ironing which needs pressure.

I was diagnosed with LCIS/DCIS (I think I was on the cusp of either, because 2 surgeons described it differently!) last December and had a lumpectomy in January. In February I was given the all clear, needing NO further treatment which was wonderful. I also had no nodes removed.

As the discomfort I feel is intermittent, I’m wondering if nerves still haven’t completely settled after the op and that this is aggravated by some activities. (I’ve had 2 knee replacements and understand completely that nerves are the last thing to heal after an operation).

I have no signs of a lump or anything in the area; but my original cancer was found on a mammogram without a lump and I am due for a follow-up m’gram in a couple of months.

Just thought someone might have some thoughts on this,

Carol