Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Need some advice

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Help! Need some advice

Hi @TawnyTuTu 

Thank you for posting.

It is natural when you experience breast symptoms to feel worried.

Breast changes including nipple discharge can happen for many reasons. It is reassuring to hear that you were referred to in a breast clinic and the outcome of the assessment was benign (not cancer). Also, you mentioned that you had full breast assessment which included an examination, ultrasound and mammogram which were able to explain your symptoms.

Discharge from one or both nipples can happen either spontaneously or when the nipples or breasts are squeezed. Squeezing the nipple to check for discharge can worsen the problem so best avoided.

Breast cancer is uncommon in women in their 20s and 30s, so most changes including nipple discharge are more likely to be because of one of the reasons mentioned above rather than cancer.

You mentioned that since the start of the pandemic you have felt as if it triggered something like health anxiety,

Do contact your GP to talk through how you are feeling and how best to manage it at this time.  In the meantime, the following information about health anxiety may be helpful. The organisation Anxiety UK may also be of interest.

For more details about breast awareness, see our booklet Know your breasts: a guide to breast awareness and screening.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

If you would like a nurse to call you do complete this form. Ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Helen

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Re: Help! Need some advice

Hi Tawney tutu,  lovely name! I'd say YES, stop worrying. Youve done exactly the right and sensible thing to get checked out. Ive had lots  of mammograms and ultrasounds, some showed cancer some did not. The people doing them are experts, they know what they are doing. You've been told you do not have cancer. Hooray, be happy. Lots of love, Mo x x     Sorry,  just realised you are asking the nurses, very wise, but this is what I think, I'm not a nurse of course!! 

Help! Need some advice

I am 36 years old and I stopped breastfeeding 3 years ago. Ever since I stopped I noticed I can still get a tiny bit of milky stuff to come out of both breasts but I noticed clear, watery yellowish nipple discharge come out of one milk duct.  I didn't think much of it before but when COVID started back in March 2020 it sort of triggered something like OCD and health anxiety and now I'm scared it's cancer. I started constantly checking for lumps and making the discharge come out to where sometimes the discharge is a little bloodstained. I was seen by my Dr in May and had a breast exam and she didn't feel anything abnormal but to be safe she sent me to get a mammogram and an ultrasound done. The mammogram did pick up a small area under my nipple that they wanted to get a closer look at. They came to the conclusion that I have a clogged milk duct but in the report they called it a "slightly prominent milk duct" overall "benign findings" "No evidence of cancer". I don't mess with it as much as I did before but I still worry it's cancer and they missed something. Should I calm down and trust the Dr and his conclusion?