66856members
352800posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for some guidance / reassurance!

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Looking for some guidance / reassurance!

Hi laurajadeee

Thanks for posting.

Its understandable to worry when you find a lump and notice new breast changes, especially if you have a family history of breast cancer.

Breast changes can happen for many reasons. They may be part of normal development, hormonal changes as part of your monthly cycle (period) or due to benign conditions (not cancer). You’ll probably find your breasts change quite a bit throughout your life.  Although breast cancer is uncommon in women in their 20s and the changes you have noticed are more likely to be because of one of the reasons mentioned above rather than cancer, it’s still important for you to get them checked out. If you feel uncomfortable speaking to your GP, it may be helpful to request an appointment with a different GP.  You could also contact the GP practice and ask to speak to the practice manager to discuss your concerns about your recent telephone consultation.

It's not possible to say what may be causing the sickness that you are getting, but nausea is a temporary side effect that can be experienced with the contraceptive implant.

You mention that you have a long family history of multiple cancers, including breast.  Having a family history of breast cancer does not automatically mean you are at a greater risk of developing breast cancer in the future. The biggest risk factors for developing breast cancer are being a woman and increasing age.

There are only a small number of people who will be at a greater risk of developing breast cancer because they have a significant family history.  If you’re concerned that your family history is significant, talk to your GP or another GP in the practice.  It’s helpful if you can find out as much information as possible about your family history before this discussion.  Our information about family history risk assessment  explains what details your doctor needs to know in order to assess you.

If the information suggests you may have a significant family history, you'll be referred to either the local family history clinic or regional genetic centre (depending what’s in your local area). Here your risk will be assessed further and your level of risk will be confirmed as set out by the  National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) guidelines.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Louise

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Hi laurajadeee - that is not acceptable behaviour by your GP, I’m shocked to read how he dismissed your concerns. My daughter found a lump in her breast on 2 occasions while in her teens and on both occasions her GP sent her to the breast clinic to have them checked out quickly. Thankfully both occasions they were benign (I can’t now remember what they were). It’s true that breast cancer is much rarer in younger people, but you know your body and if something is not usual you are entitled to be checked. You are being very responsible in checking your body, especially with your family history and you should be respected for that.

I see that the nurses have replied to you. I would encourage you to give them a call, they are lovely, knowledgeable and supportive. I would also see if you can speak to a different GP.

My very best wishes to you, do come back and ask any more questions if I can help at all.

Evie xx

Highlighted

Hi Laurajadeee

Thanks for posting your question on our Ask Our Nurses board.

We hope to be able to respond to you tomorrow.

In the meantime our Helpline is open until 4pm today if you would like to talk things through. 

If you do phone our Helpline please let us know that you have asked a question on our forum so that we know your query has been answered. Thank you

With best wishes.

Lisa

Ask Our Nurses Co-ordinator

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

Highlighted

Looking for some guidance / reassurance!

Hello!

I am 20 years old and recently I have noticed that one of my breasts has began to drop, the other day I began to get an uncontrollable discomfort in my right breast and later on that day I found a large pea sized lump above my nipple which is quite red on and around it. All above this has become covered in speckled bruises like little dots and towards my armpit I have quite a few dimples (like the skin of an organge). With having a long family history of multiple kinds of cancer including breast, I became slightly worried. My grandmother had 4 sisters that all died before they were 50 due to this and so my mum told me to contact my GP as she was worried also.

My GP was beyond rude to me and made me feel so stupid for even calling. He said I am too young to even be considered as having breast cancer and refused to see me. He told me I had probably done this damage to myself and not realised but he didnt even let me explain fully how my right breast is appearing (if he did he would realise i couldn't have done this to myself!). I am a student nurse and don't take ringing the doctors lightly unless i feel like i need to. He said there is nothing he can do and I should ring back in a few weeks if it hasn't gone but explained that he wouldn't be sending me for any tests as he doesnt believe I could develop this at 20 years old, I did tell him about my family history.

I have also been throwing up a lot, a few times a week feeling like I have a sickness bug, but I am on the contraceptive implant.

I'm too embarrassed to seek any other help of that kind now so I was looking to see if anyone else could help with this?

Thank you!