Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lump concerns

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Lump concerns

Hello georgiemay88

Thanks for your post. Waiting for an appointment when you have noticed a breast lump can be really difficult.

Whilst we can’t say what the lump might be breast lumps and breast changes can happen for many reasons and the fact that it doesn’t move doesn’t make it more likely that you have cancer. They may be due to hormonal changes as part of your monthly cycle (period) or due to benign conditions (not cancer). You’ll probably find your breasts change quite a bit throughout your life.

Breast cancer is uncommon in women in their 20s and 30s so the change you have noticed is more likely to be because of one of the reasons mentioned above rather than cancer.

It’s good to hear that you have seen your GP and that you will have an appointment to be seen in a breast clinic in the next two weeks.

You may find it helpful to call us on the Helpline today to talk things through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Rachel

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Hey jaybro

Thank you for your response and such a balanced view on things. I really appreciate it and agree google is not my friend right now. 

I hope you are recovering?

Sending lots of love xx

Highlighted

Hi Georgiemay

None of us can tell you definitively. We only speak from our own very varied experiences. Horrid though it is, you are going to have to trust your GP’s judgment and remember that most breast lumps turn out to be benign.

Google is our enemy. Here it’s referred to as Dr Google, the one doctor who doesn't give a toss about your emotions, knows nothing of your specific symptoms, often relies on outdated information and generalises. Breast cancer lumps don’t move, according to Dr Google? Both of mine (2cm and 3cms) were mobile. So if the rule doesn’t apply to me, maybe it doesn’t always apply to all cysts either. There’s much more to a diagnosis. In fact both my GP and consultant said they didn't think I had anything to worry about yet, within 4 weeks, I was being referred for every treatment available after surgery.

Please stop googling. If you have questions while you’re waiting, the nurses at the number above are very helpful and reassuring. And try not to keep poking and prodding. It’s not going to change in the next couple of weeks. All the best xx

Highlighted

Lump concerns

Hi, 

I need someone to talk to really. I’m 32. No history of breast cancer in my family. About a week ago I found a lump in my right boob. It’s kind of the shape of a grape sliced lengthways and it’s kind of hard and doesn’t move at all. 

Doing the sensible thing we all do, I went on google and everything I’ve read seems to suggest that if the lump doesn’t move that’s usually a bad sign. Can anyone tell me if this is true?

I went to the GP today and have been referred to a breast clinic within 2 weeks for more tests. I tried to get some idea from her today of what it could be and she said could be cysts but hard to tell and needs to be checked properly.

Does a lump that doesn’t move automatically mean its cancer or could a cyst be immobile? Im so worried and the 2 weeks is bound to feel the longest time ever.

Thank you x