Nipple cracking / discharge 2 years after BC

Hi there,

I had surgery/chemo/radium in 2020 for invasive ductal carcinoma. My recovery was smooth and I feel so grateful for that. 
Last week I noticed the nipple of the breast (same side) was cracked and slightly oozing. I’ve never had dry skin or any nipple problems outside of breastfeeding. I’m 47 and perimenopausal but my skin is not particularly dry at present. I reported it to the breast nurse  here in N. Ireland who said I should be seen and made a referral back to the consultant’s team. My appointment arrived yesterday for next Wed. Since then, the cracked nipple has healed over and I’m starting to wonder do I even need to waste the doctor’s time? My initial tumour presented with some stabs of pain (it woke me one night and caused me to feel and find the lump). I am feeling stabs of pain behind the nipple, which isn’t at all unbearable but I’m not sure it’s enough to justify an appt with the surgeon’s team. 

Should I attend or cancel? I’m definitely hyperaware of any symptoms since the first diagnosis so I’m not always capable of a balanced opinion.?

Good morning Anna, 

So pleased to hear you are feeling better, after a worrying time however please don’t cancel this appointment it’s worth getting checked out, for your own peace of mind.

Make some notes before seeing your consultation, as we all go blank when we arrive at the hospital. Wishing you well, finger crossed to a good outcome.

Hugs Tili :rainbow: :rainbow:

Hi Anna45Anna

Thanks for posting.

We hear from quite a few people who are unsure whether to attend their breast clinic appointment as their symptoms have settled.

It’s good to hear the skin of your nipple has healed. You don’t say how long you’ve had the stabbing pains in your breast, however if they are persisting, you may find it helpful to attend the appointment for peace of mind.

You can always call your breast care nurse to chat this through. That way she remains aware of your situation. If she suggests that you don’t attend the appointment, you could agree how long you leave it to see if the pain settles before you contact her again to arrange to be seen.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would like a nurse to call you do complete this form . Ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Catherine

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.